Wednesday 15 June 2022

Tuesday 14th June 2022

I should have been in Denmark this week for a two day seminar.

But I had work to do in preparation for next week, so didn't go. Just as well as my credit card has been frozen, so would not have been able to pay for anything.

Instead I would have to attend via Teams, eight hours per day.

While the sun shone outside.

I slept poorly thanks to a combination of the heat, cats and my cough, all of which contributed to a dreadful night's sleep. All I had to do was stay awake for the day.

High summer at Windy Ridge I was up at half five, all red-eyed and bleary.

Coffee helped.

Of course.

I had a shower, got dressed had some breakfast and was ready to start at half seven. Eight hours of this shit.

High summer at Windy Ridge II still have no idea what it was the seminar was about, covering old ground for the most part. I hoped that we would finish early, but didnt. Ten past four it was when they were kicked out of the meeting room in Aarhus, and I was free.

High summer at Windy Ridge So, I went for a walk. Its been a while.

I walked along the street, then up to Collingwood, with the air fuull of butterflies. Most Small Tortoisesheels, though none settled, though a Common and Holly Blue did, allowing me to get shots.

High summer at Windy Ridge I walked down the small slope, past the horse paddocks and up to Windy Ridge, then turning west to Station Road, inspecting the hedges for butterflies and flowers. All was rich and green, of course.

One hundred and sixty five The old midden has been covered with soil and looks like been seeded too, as its a riot of wild flowers, mainly poppies, ox-eye daisoes and so on. I take a shot or two.

Polyommatus icarus I walk back down Station Road, passed by several school buses laden with screaming children. I was young once, apparently.

Celastrina argiolus Back home I made a huge shepherd's pie with the leftover lamb. In fact there's enough for a second, but will make that another time. I mince the lamb, boil potatoes, which I mash with butter and horseradish when cooked and sprinkle the top with grated cheese ready to be cooked.

Cheese-topped shepherd's pie It was rather good, and after doing so well at work, I told myself I deserved a beer to go with dinner. Which I very much enjoyed.

For the evening's entertainment, there was England v Hungary, which it appears was the last game of the very long season. And initially, it looked like England would romp to a win, but lost their way and never found it again. 1-0 down at half time, 2-0 on the hour. 3-0 with ten to go, a player then sent off and HUngary scoring a 4th for fun long after I had given up and gone to bed.

Oh dear.

No comments: