Friday 24 June 2022

Ophrys × albertiana

Last month I went looking for a hybrid orchid.

I had a good idea where to go, it had to be a site with both parent plants, and the hybrid would have traits of both parents.

That was the theory. Anyway.

I also knew which site to go it, and where to look on the site as well, as I have visited twice last year, though too late to see anything of than Bee Orchids.

It was a clear and sunny morning. Also, very early.

The downs were soaked with dew, and I hoped to be unseen. Warning signs had been put up last year, with wording that would tempt any orchidists who might have seen it, but that was now gone.

I walked up the track leading to the down, through light woodland until a small bowl was formed.

I knew where I had seen the Late Spiders last year, so began to look, and first of all, found none. I forgot it was still early in the season, and soon I spotted the pink sepals of an Ophrys, and it was a LSO.

I found several more, then on a ledge above one perfect small spike, then my eye was caught by something to its left.

It looked like a Bee, and yet had the upturned lip of an LSO, the lip markings were of a Bee.

Was this it?

I thought so.

I though half a dozen shots, and abandoned the search, as I didn't want to damage the site and I had found what I was looking for.

One hundred and forty six I thought.

I have to say, I was so full of joy I had to tell someone. That someone was a guy who had come down from the Midlands to see our star plants.

I told him, and then had to say, but I can't show you.

I wasn't going to tell anyone else, but I knew it had to be verified, so after a couple of days I wrote to the county recorders, and after a couple of mails Alfie confirmed it was the hybrid. I gave them the grid reference and date of discovery, and this will be added to the county records.

So, there we have it.

Amazingly, the other LSO hybrid might have been found this year too, Ophrys x obscura, or the ESO x LSO, this would be a very special find, as it is rarer than the one I found. That yet to be confirmed.

No comments: