Wednesday 8 June 2022

Tuesday 7th June 2022

If going to Kenfig was what this week was about for me, then for JOols is was riding the UK's longest zipwire, which she thought she had booked for Tuesday, but had booked Monday. IN the end, it was no trouble, and she was allowed on. But some excitement there.

I had no interest in riding it. Gravty and myself have come to an agreement where it looks after stuff falling, and I try not to fall or get into situations where I might fall.

A zipwire falls into that kind of thing to avoid.

I would wait in the car, safe on the ground.

We just had to get there first.

At least Jool's cold was slightly better, though only slightly, so she felt she could do it, we just had to drive to north Wales to get her to the site by ten to eleven.

We both thought we had left loads of time, but by the time we climbed in the car the sat nav said we would arrive at twenty to eleven, allowing only ten minutes for delays.

It was a long drive, sometimes along desserted roads, sometimes stuck behind the slowest driver in the history of driving, all though grand and majestic landscapes that inpires. Only I had no time to stop and admire as we had to get to the zip wire centre.

I got past the last slow vehice and we hammer the last ten miles through mountains and past lakes, turning off the dirt track to the centre. I dropped Jools off and she went to book in.

IN the end, she was booked at ten past midday, so we had time for tea and cakes before she would do the smaller of the two zip wires, and if she was OK with that, she would be taken to the top of the mountain for the "summit".

I wave her off for her safety brief, then see her walk to the start of the smaller wire. More safety, then she lays on a table, is strapped into a harness and attached to a metal carrier. All four of them were released and with screams, they zoom off in a storm of screams.

I walk to the car to read and work out how to get a podcast to play, so the two hours fly.

She comes back, smiling, and was as good and thrilling as she hoped. I was also happy with my decision.

THe second site was a reserve on Anglesey.

It was a short drive to the bridge over the Menai Straites, over what used to be the railway bridge built by Robert Stephenson. It made my day.

Then along by ever-narrower roads and lanes until we came to a stretch of lane. No signs, nothing.

We tried a different method, but was brought back to the same place.

I managed to get the internet working, and it suggested that to park in the nearby village and walk from there. So we drove to the vllage, but there were no signs for parking or the reserve. Was asked a nice old lady who told us where to park, and she made it sound so simple to walk to the reserve, but having left her, I had doubts.

We parked the car and a guy walked up to his car, and I could tell he had been to the reserve.

I asked him which was to go.

What you want to see?

Marsh Fritillaries, I says.

I been there, none seen.

Its also supposted to be rich in orchids I add.

Few orchids too, Richard added.

If you want to see the Frits, he said, I will send you the details. Its back on the mainland.

Which he did.

But also told me he had seen moonwort that morning nearby, and when I said I'd love to see Moonwort, he gave us directions.

Richard is coming to Kent next year, so I will be able to repay the favour.

We programmed the site in, and drove half an hour over the island to an area of dunes.

Using the phone, we walked the 500m, and rght where he said they'd be, were a small group of tiny Moonworts.

One hundred and fifty eight Delight!

I get down to take photos.

A voice asks me, what are you photographing?

Moonwort, I says.

Can I take some shots when you're done, I've been looking three hours for them?

Of course I say.

She tells me where there are Bee Orchids growing in the dunes, so I go to find those, while she snaps the Moonwort.

Not only do I find the Bees, over a dozen spikes, but lots of Early Marsh Orchids too, in three of their colour forms.

Dactylorhiza incarnata subsp. pulchella I was in heaven.

But it was now nearly five, and time to head back to the hotel, it would take a long time to do the 70 miles throug Snowdonia.

So, we put the radio on, pointed the car east and drove. And apart from a small jam to the bridge leaving the island, we had a very clear run, though the light wasn't so good, but the road dipped and climbed, turned and twisted, and I had a blast pushing the Audi through it all.

We got back to the hotel at quarter past seven, went straight for dinner, which was for me, roast beef and all the trimmings. Which hit the spot in a very good way.

Then back up to the room to listen to the radio and review the shots.

Phew

No comments: