Wednesday 12 June 2013

6 Years

I try not to spend much time looking back, however, there are occasions when it pays to.

6 years ago, inbetween work gigs in Indonesia, I moved from Lowestoft to here in Dover as it was clear this is where I wanted to spend my down time as Jools and I were getting on so well. So, I rented a wagon and Jools and I headed up to Suffolk to pick up my stuff and bring it down to place in Jools' one bedroom flat.

Jools is a minimalist and I am a bit of a hoarder so it was going to be a bit of a debate about what to keep and what to throw out. The records and CDs were merged, as were the books.

Before it was decided that I move down, we did talk about should I move down here or Jools move to Lowestoft. I have never regretted moving down here. I know there were limited opportunities for employment for jools in Suffolk, and I could work from anywhere at this time. So, I moved down and Jools kept her job and flat.

I have not regretted moving down, not once. For many years, since before my Dad died it seemed that Lowestoft was a dying twon, dying as major employers closed one by one and the industrial landscape was turned into retail parks. So instead of making things that other's may want, we just sell things to each other. It's the same the country over of course.

So, I moved into the ground floor flat with Jools, a year or so later we got married and a few months later moved to what I used to call the 'House on the Cliffs' and we have our ideal life. I know there have been ups and downs; UTEC being closed down and I lost my high paid job and so we had to adjust to having less or no money. But, we bounced back.

So, here's to six more years! Or, hopefully, longer and our life together stretching into our dotage.

No comments: