Thursday 6 June 2013

Thursday 6th June 2013

Monday.

Monday, and yet something wrong. I am not on a train heading to Stratford, the first leg of my commute to Esbjerg. No, instead i have a week. No, make that two weeks at home, and so to celebrate I am working Monday at home to really have a splendid day.

I do not more nor less work when at home, but I am at home. Cats wander past me as I type, birds sing outside, and it is generally not Denmark. And at four I pack up and do not have to back to a hotel room, instead wait for Jools to come home, and then have a coffee sitting outside on the patio.

Lovely.

Tuesday.

Tuesday I actually go into the office in Ramsgate, and was greeted with ironic cheers and questions like 'who the heck are you' and 'do you still work here?'. And so the day begins. Outside the barge with which they are hoping to lift a German bomber from the Goodwin Sands is tied up because of the high winds. And the day passes slowly.

Wednesday.

And so a day off! A day off, I hear you exclaim. Well, it is high orchid season here in Kent and i booked to go on a tour of the prime sites with a guy from the Sandwich Bay bird place, and as it turned out, we had wonderful weather forecast. So, why not?

Why not indeed?

Common Blue

So, I drop Jools off at work as normal, but then head home for breakfast, so I can be on the road before eight and so miss the worse of the school traffic. I head to Deal, then through the gold course to the Bay, and find the centre open so I can look round and see about joining, as it can cost £7 to get into the Bay. You see the estate, Sandwich Bay is owned by a minor royal or something and non-residents have to pay to enter the Bay. Members of the Bird Observatory get a pass. So, it might pay to join......

Man Orchid Aceras anthropophorum

At just gone nine we set off on our orchid safari, with the first stop being Kingsdown to see the small collection of Early Spider Orchids they have. I already have snapped them so did not take a shot, except of a lone blue butterfly, clinging to a blade of grass in the breeze.

Man Orchid Aceras anthropophorum

Next was to the downs above Dover to see the Man Orchids. They are growing about 2m from a main road, which is about right for orchids. But there is a rich collection there and we all snap away merrily. I am sure passing motorists must wonder what we were doing on our hands and knees.....

Bird's-nest Orchid Neottia nidus-arvis

A quick blast along to a small wood just off the A2 to see the Birds Nest Orchids: not the prettiest orchid in the word, and as they grown in the heart of the wood, tricky to snap, but I use fill in flash and get some shots. And it is off again, this time to see the Monkeys.

Bird's-nest Orchid Neottia nidus-arvis

Monkey Orchids of course.

Monkey orchid Orchis simia

I know the site well of course, so it was the chance to snap them ore open than on Sunday, and indeed they were and many more about to open. I also sap a Green Hairstreak which I chase whilst the others head to the cars for lunch. Oh yes, the others. I was the youngest there, as the trio I was travelling with were all over 80, our guide and his friend over 60. And they all lasted the pace, and I could not be the only one to complain about all the walking!

Monkey orchid Orchis simia

We eat in a lay by in the shelter of a wood, whilst Orange tips tease me by fluttering by and not settling, letting the sunlight catch their bright wingtips. Next year, perhaps.....

Common Spotted-orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii

We set off for the bank to see the Fly Orchids, but we had seen a single along with the Monkeys at the last place. I take a few of the one beside the bench and snap a Brown Argus in the meadow too, trying not to step on the Comon spotted Orchid spears which are beginning to show. It is fine to walk in the woods, and the two white orchids I had spotted on previous vsits turned out to be Greater Butterfly orchids, both almost out, but not quite.

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera

Our last stop was at the big wood, where the Duke of Burgundys are. I am coy about locations because many orchids have been dug up by idiots who think they will grown in their garden. Well, they won't but i don't suppose something like science and/or nature will deter them.

Lady Orchid Orchis purpurea

The display of Lady Orchids is huge, and the orchids themselves are impressively big too. And they are everywhere. I snap many as their colour variation is huge too, going from purple to white. We see another fly and a White Helleborine which was a treat.

White Helleborine Cephalanthera damasonium

As the buzzards circled overhead, the afternoon grew hot, and so we made our way back to the cars and then to Sandwich for one final visit to the beach and a look at the Green Winged Orchids and to see where the huge Lizard Orchids will be in a month's time. Wow. What a day, I have not counted the species, along with the ones mentioned about we also saw Common Spotted Orchids and Common Twayblades which either were not out yet or I have already snapped them. So, a great day, and time then to head for home and a pint and cook dinner.

Greater Butterfly Orchid Platanthera chlorantha

Phew

Green-winged Orchid Orchis morio

2 comments:

Kingsdowner said...

Good collection of orchids there J.
We'll be off to Monkton this weekend again to see how they are progressing there.
Interesting to see birds-nest orchid, which seems to pop up in totally unpredictable places - a couple of years ago by the road at Willow Woods.
Could you PM me this year's location, and have you sent a record in to Kent Botany?
Steve

jelltex said...

Just seen this post, sorry for the delay. If you write to me at jelltecks@yahoo.co.uk I will let you know where they are.