Wednesday 18 December 2013

Wednesday 18th December 2013

And so Tuesday at work ended, and what better way to celebrate another day nearer Christmas than heading back to the Rack of Ale to meet up with an old friend who was intrigued by the shot of it I posted on Flickr.

The day’s work over, which included another two examples of more expense: MOTing the car and getting the heating fixed. The car just cost £50, that and the tyres we bought at the weekend, but we’re street legal for another year anyways. And I worked from home so the plumber could look at our heating which is getting a tad unpredictable from time to time. Every now and again, the heating gets stuck on, and just pups hot water round, thus making the house very warm indeed, and emptying the water tank so we have cold showers.

Brrrr.

Needless to say, when he turned up, the heating worked just as it should with no problems. This now results in the replacement of parts, one at a time until we find what stops the problem.

At half seven, Jools dropped my outside the Rack and headed off to see how Nan has settled into the nursing home. Matt was waiting for me, and so we quickly caught up, and despite him being young enough to be my son, he is a veteran of gout and was able to give me tips on how to deal with it. We also drank beer.

And ale.

The night ebbed away, and we had a cheese board to help soak up the beer. Jools came to pick me up at nine, after four pints it was just as well, really.

I slept well that night!

This morning I went to Tesco to pick up something for breakfast and get a couple of other bits and bobs, only to find that the wide aisle running across the store has been filled in with more shelves of stuff to buy. It seems that for Brits, or those who shop in my local Tesco are expected to buy lots and lots of booze. And most of it is on offer. Is this really what Christmas is about these days? I guess so.

No comments: