Wednesday 25 December 2013

Wednesday 25th December 2013

Christmas Day.

There is a reason as to why I am blogging at half four on Boxing Day morning. That reason is that I went to bed before seven yesterday evening, so I have had something like seven hours sleep now.

As to why I went to bed at such an early hour, that was down to two further factors: being up at five on Christmas Eve, then sitting up till nearly midnight watching tV and just five hours sleep. And four pints of wifebeater. Sorry, Stella. Stella used to be called Wifebeater when I was in the RAF, but then so did Tennant's too.

Let me say I have never beaten any of my wives, nor do I think such a thing is funny.

Anywho. It is still dark, there is no wind, for a change, there is a badger in the front garden hoovering up peanuts, England are on the verge of another collapse Down Under, and I have just had a cold sausage roll for a light snack before I try to get more shut-eye.

There is still no sign of the shed roof.

So, I got up at five yesterday, fed the cats and put on the Christmas tree lights. It still didn't feel like Christmas. Once Jools got up we had breakfast. I call it breakfast, in truth it was two mince pies,which was pretty darn good. At nine we got a call call from mum; she is not well again, as she is not looking after herself, back on the crap food and fags. So, I say the right things and we chat some.

Christmas Morn dawn

At eleven, once the rain has stopped and the sun has broken through, we head out to the NT's lace on the cliffs to look at all the ferries berthed on the one day of the year there is no service. There were less than in previous years, but a good half dozen were tied up, and crew seemed busy doing stuff.

Dover Eastern Docks: Christmas Day 2013

We sat on a bench to take in the scene, and Jools spotted a Kestrel hovering over some poor animal just a handful of yards away. Could I get the other camera out, change lenses so I could get a shot before it moved off or dived?

Dover Eastern Docks: Christmas Day 2013

No.

A crow chased it off, and despite waiting half an hour, it did not return. We did a quick visit to St Martin's Battery up on Western heights to get the view from there, before we head to Dad's for the traditional family get-together and dinner.

Dover Western Docks from St Martin's Battery, Western Heights

We chat, we drink, we open gifts,and at half three dinner is served. Just as well as we are all very hungry, and so tear through what Tony has prepared.

Jools drops me off home while she does the taxi duties. I watch the end of Muppet Christmas Carol, and feel like crap. I try hard to keep awake, but it is useless. I head to bed before Dr Who, and go to sleep as the title music starts......

No comments: