Friday 5 September 2014

Friday 5th September 2014

Wednesday.

Life is always better after a good night's sleep. And so it was this morning. Nearly nine hours sleep, and waking early enough to be able to lay in bed looking at the dawn creeping round the curtains. Oh well, can't avoid it any longer, better get up and take on the day. In fact, grab it by the tits and show it who is boss. Thing is, this was going to be a challenging day at work, seven hours of non-stop meetings and one of them, very challenging.

So, I have a shower, put on some smartish clothes and head down for breakfast.

Traffic in Arhus is as bad as ever, at least leaving at twenty past seven means you miss the worst of the traffic. Or at least I do. Anyway. I get to the office only to find that the reception staff are not on duty, and so I am stuck outside until a colleague sees me and lets me in the door and into the offices.

Evening walk in Aarhus, Denmark

OK: lets get this done!

The day passes, and it goes as well as as it could be expected. In fact, it exceeds expectations and so by the time the evening comes, I am ready for something to eat and maybe a drink. And as it turns out, this very evening a team meal has been planned in downtown Arhus, so I dash back to the hotel, get changed and grab my camera and order a taxi to take me where the action is. And as it happens there is a lot of action in Arhus.

Evening walk in Aarhus, Denmark

There is a music festival on, and the streets are full of people milling around, street performers and lots and lots of people. Or did I mention that already? Anyway, there is an organ recital going on in the cathedral, so I pass on that, but wander the city centre just taking in the sights, which is very good, particularly as summer seems to have returned to these northern climes. People are walking around still in their summer clothes, smiling and eating ice creams and the such. Young kids are jiving to some faux disco-Elvis, but it seems to work. Down by the cafe-lined canal, kids are frollicing in zorbing balls on the water. What better place to leave your kids whilst you have a swifter or two?

Evening walk in Aarhus, Denmark

Dinner was arranged at a new restaurant called KoD, which means 'meat' in Danish. And they do serve meat, but then most Danish restaurants serve on heck of a lot of meat. There was 16 of us, and service was kinda slow, and the starters were all served on a platter which meant if you were last to get it, the platter was empty, so you went hungry. Now, the staff did try to rectify this. Anyway, the main course was great, steak, and more steak, with a few chips. Very few. And once again if you were last to get the platter, no chips left. But there was more than enough meat. MEAT.

The most expensive beer

I then head to meet a colleague at an English pub for a drink, and arrive to find the barman talking to a customer about Thomas Hardy ale. After a while my interest was piqued, so I order a bottle. Turns out this a wonderfully rare beer, and is some five years old, and 11.7% but costs 350DK, which is about £30. But what the heck, and it was an experience, and one I shared with Steffen. To my delight they also had 6X on draught, which was really good too, and a tenth of the price of the bottle of beer. We then get into an argument with a guy about whether Nicklas Bendtner was any good as a footballer or not. Let me say, I think the Dane is dreadful as a footballer, but the guy thought otherwise, and was drunk enough to talk louder and louder before ending up shouting to force his argument. And he would not shut up.

Evening walk in Aarhus, Denmark

We head back to the hotel, bid our farewells and I head up to bed, as the clock told me it was now Thursday. Oh dear.

No comments: