Thursday 18 September 2014

Thursday 18th September 2014

Wednesday.

I decided that for Wednesday I should little else other than walk to Deal so I could go in The Berry and drink beer. And why not? Well, I was going to get Jools to drop me off in Capel so I could walk back to Dover, but the BBC mentioned rain and cloud, so I thought I would do a bit of messing about and go to Deal later. Now, I know if there was a medal for wasting time, I would be up for that. Somehow I managed to waste away a good four hoyrs before I was ready to head out.

Sadly, the BBC had got it wrong, the cloud, if anything, was thicker than before, and threatened rain. Oh well. I shouldered my gadget bag, a camera and a macro lens and set off. You know the route so well by now, surely. Down the street, along the country lane, then the path past the butterfly glade, the pig's copse, down the dip and up the other side, then down Otty Bottom Road heading slowly down into Kingsdown. I was nearly mowed down by a couple of cyclists who did not want to take their offroad bikes onto an untarmaced road, which seemed a bit odd, and though they should just barge me out the way. As they were travelling at warp factor six, they were past me as I stood agape.

Anyway, onwards I plod, heading along the beach into Walmer, past the castle and into Deal Or I think, I am unsure where the border between the two towns is, maybe the The Berry is in Walmer after all. Good thing is that whichever town it is in, the beer is as good as ever. I have a couple of pints and a pack of crisps, read the latest issue of Channel Draught, then pondering whether to have another pint, and maybe not have enough money for the taxi. I get the taxi, just as well as I am struggling to stay awake until Jools comes in from work.

She makes apple and blackberry crumble for dinner, and then I lay on the sofa, gently snoring as the radio burbles the Citeh game from Germany.

No comments: