Sunday 7 September 2014

Sunday 7th September 2014

It is Sunday morning, the sun has risen slowly casting its light through wisps of mist. Colours are muted and the shadows are lengthening. The year is getting old, even though it might still feel like Summer, it has less than four months to run. I am whiling the morning away until about ten, when Jools is going to drop me off at the station. Again. As I head up to the airport. Again. But this time I am not heading for Denmark, but Germany, and a place I have only driven through, Dresden. THese are my last few days of work before my annual vacation begins on Thursday, and so I am doubly happy.

Saying that, being away from home is something I am never happy about, but the sadness I feel as I pack and make ready is reversed as I make the return trip. So, swings and roundabouts.

Friday. As I am working most of Sunday, I take most of Friday off to compensate. But there is always time for a meeting or two, as is the case this day. That done, I pack the computer and work away, make the builders another cuppa and settle down to watch last weekend's MOTD2, which I end up watching in chunks as the guy's drills shake the house to the foundations as they remove the old windows and fit the new. It does begin to look very good indeed, and will look stunning once the new render is put on too. But for now we have clean and larger windows out of which to survey our little bit of Albion.

Operation Big Job: the next stage

In the afternoon I watch the previous night's drama, Castles in the Sky, a dramatic recreation of the invention of radar, the towers of which still dominate Dover skyline. Sadly, I had to watch it in 30 second chunks due to the narrow bandwidth we still have, and so the effect was slightly ruined, but enjoyable nonetheless, and amazed that politics was being played within the Minstry of War with the nation's defence. Outsode the cloud was thick enough to send a few drops of rain down, and the light too poor for much photography, so I sat inside, or retreated out into the garden to read, where I would be joined by at least two of the cats. And in this way the day passed.

Operation Big Job: the next stage

I also cook dinner through the day; grilled vegetables, then whisked up, adding some grilled chorizo to make a fine pasta sauce, meaning just having to cook the pasta, warm the sauce created a fine dinner soon after Jools returned from the world of boxes.

Operation Big Job: the next stage

Saturday.

No shopping required. At least very little, and as Jools has an errand to run in town, she returns soon after nine with croissants, so we have a late breakfast.

The plan had been for Jools to drop me off in Capel and for me to walk back to Dover along the cliffs. However, the guy who is doing the rendering, called to say he was going to be late to come round to discuss the finer details of the rendering. I volunteer to stay behind, doing the grown up thing and so forgo the pleasant walk along the cliffs. Noddy turns up nearly two hours late, smokes roll ups as he talks, but we hammer out the details, and the work is to begin on the 20th.

So, I listen to the radio, edit some photos, and generally grumble about the fact there is no football on the radio to listen to, as there is no games in the top two divisions as England are attempting to play on Monday evening. I even go into the garden in the afternoon to do some tidying up. And in the way the afternoon passes into evening. I make another chorizo hash for dinner, and then I retire to the patio to watch dusk fall, and the fat old yellow moon rise over the trees at the bottom of the garden. Once again I am joined by a couple of the cats. Jools is watching Dr Who, but she too joins me when that is finished, as by now night has fallen and the stars just about shine through the thin cloud covering the sky.

No comments: