Tuesday 30 September 2014

Tuesday 30th September 2014

The final day of a golden September. It has been the driest September since records began, apparently, and I have seen very little of the wet stuff, certainly hardly any on my time off. Autumn seems to be very advanced, the raspberries are not edible now, and yet temperature soar in the day, sometimes still over 25 degrees. It really is wonderful, when in three months it will be the penultimate day of the year. Outside, the builders are wrapping up the side of the house, with just the front to do, which might be completed tomorrow. It is looking very good indeed, and I can't wait to see it once the scaffolding is taken off.

Anyway. That is today.

This was yesterday.

Monday.

The black cloud that is the first day back at work arrived and soaked with with a downpour of gloom. I was awake before 5, and so got up. I had been suffering with suspected food poisoning some of the night, which explained my broken sleep and general lack of it. I skipped breakfast and had just coffee. Got my bag and pass to get in the compound. Right, let's do it.

I dropped Jools off at the factory, and then drove up through Buckland, past Tesco and out onto the Sandwich road. There was mist, which developed into fog as I neared Ramsgate, and at the roundabout on the new bypass, a car had crashed through the barriers at the side and the police were there taking statements. The traffic was just awful, and further delayed the great switching on of the work computer. Which once in the office, putting the coffee machine on, it was time to do it and see the avalanche of e mails waiting for my attention.

And so the working week begins.

At ten I walk into town to get some cash out of the bank, so at least I could get some food from the butty wagon when she came round.

The afternoon passed.

Until half two, and I got a screaming headache. I have looked at every mail, and so I thought I could go home and get an hours kip, without the world missing me. So, out into the school run traffic, and home where the bed was calling. I was joined by Mulder and Scully, and despite thinking I would not sleep, I got an hour and felt, if not refreshed, something akin to being normal.

I pick Jools up, and we decide that the best thing would be to have fish and chips for dinner. Also, the builders were taking the day off, so home all was silent, apart from the demanding meows of the cats calling for their dinner. Jools went to the chippy, and I try to watch something on the TV, but there is nothing on. And I even find Top Gear mildly interesting, mainly due to Martin Sheen being on, but I soon realise it is a ancient edition and I have seen it.

We call it a day at nine, with the badger already in the garden, munching away.

No comments: