Friday 25 December 2015

Friday 25th December 2015

Thursday

Christmas Eve

The wind had been howling all night and the rain hammering down, but by half six when I stirred it had stopped. I get up, leaving Jools dreaming of sheep, get dressed, go down stairs, feed the cats and put on my coat, as I had to go to the butcher in Preston. To pick up the meat order, and spread some Festive cheer. Outside it was still dark, I put out the bins before I leave, then drive me whilst listening to Radio 6 up to the Duke of Yorks then along the Sandwich Road and finally across the marshes to Preston. There was plenty of standing water about, but the road was passable, and not as bad as two years ago when we had been battered by a huge storm, and at Chez Jelltex we lost the shed roof.

Salt Beef I was the only customer, but the shop is filled with other orders and smiling butchers. They even give me a small bottle of beer that a friend had brewed, based on a Victorian recipe that polar explorers, including Captain Scott, took to warm the cockles of their hearts. I said I would sample it later.

Back home I put it all away, then prepare the brine for the salt beef I am going to spend the morning boiling and making all tasty. I have no bay leaves, but put in cloves and mustard seeds, as well as salt and pepper, then set it to boil.

Mince pies Next I set about making a batch of mince pies, whilst Jools goes out taking cards to friends and families.

And finally I make two baking trays full of sausage rolls in puff pastry. They rise like crazy, but by half eleven, all is done and cooked, and so I think I deserve a brew and a quality check on one of the mince pies was needed, just to make sure that the standard has been maintained. Thankfully, it was wonderful.

Sausage rolls Jools comes home, so I open the arctic beer and we have a couple of sausage rolls, then settle down on the sofa to watch the first part of The Return of the King. Outside, darkness fell, shops closed and the final buses and trains ran. The craziness was over for another year, or at least the 26th when the shops open again for sales. Or we go up to Suffolk to see Mother.

Anthony's Arctic Ale We graze on mince pies, sausage rolls and chocolate biscuits for the rest of the day, watching the 12th and final disc of the Hobbit/LOTR marathon, and for the most part it was all very splendid indeed. So, what will we watch for the rest of the holidays? Maybe there will be something on TV? Maybe not.

Anyway, the house was quiet, nothing stirred as we have caught all the mice the mogs have brought in.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: