Saturday 5 December 2015

Saturday 5th December 2015

Friday

And the weekend is nearly here. from the bathroom window, I survey the valley behind the house, the farmer is already working away, amber lights flashing in his tractor has he moves bales of hay about, and above, the quarter full crescent moon casts a pale silver light on the scene, whilst beside it, the planets are strung out in a long line. Its gonna be a fine day.

Friday dawn We have coffee and we feed the cats. We gather our strength, gird our loins for one last push towards the weekend. Jools leaves, I have breakfast and a second coffee, then get ready to deal with IT. A password has expired, now could i get IT to re-set it and then me do all the tasks I needed before the end of the day? It was a tough task, but I am up for it. I call IT then wait. I also write some mails, update documents and arrange yet more travel. I am multi-tasking like a goodun. Go me!

Friday afternoon walk to Walmer I get through to IT, and make them understand what I need and the password is indeed change. I then have a week's work to back up, more calls to make and have lunch. Over in Denmark, it is an hour earlier, and with it past two over there, people are heading off for the weekend. I tie up some final lose ends, get my travel details to Hamburg in week 51, and I am done. Phew.

Friday afternoon walk to Walmer Outside, the sun is shining from a clear blue sky, and is now past midday and so is already sinking low in the west. I had better get out and take in some rays. My plan had been to walk to Walmer, to go to The Green Berry fo a couple of swifters. I know, you're surprised. And Jools would pick me up at five or so, we would go to a chippy for dinner, and back home for say, half six. Perfect.

I set off, wearing just my raincoat, as I would be walking with a tail wind, I thought it would not be cold. Across the fields to the butterfly glade, past the pig's copse and down the dip to the quagmire at the bottom. I pick my way round the mud and up the steep track the other side. Already the light is turning golden as the sun sinks, casting wonderful light and long shadows on the land.

Friday afternoon walk to Walmer I decide to take the cliff path rather than the cycle path to Kingsdown, so once I had taken the shot looking down Otty Bottom Lane, I went over the top of the down towards the monument, turning off the main path heading for the gold course and to rejoin the cliff path at the boundary between St Maggies and Kingsdown.

Friday afternoon walk to Walmer It was as I neared the cliffs I realised something important: after leaving the house and tying my bootlaces, I had left the house key in the back door. And it still was there. Only choice, really, was to go back and forgo the beer in the pub! Oh noes.

I call Jools to let her know the change of plan, then after getting one shot at the cliffs looking north towards Deal, I turned round and headed for home. And walking into the strong breeze was chilly, but I pressed on, not wanting the house to be burgled before I got home. I did pause to snap some of the scenes as the sun neared the horizon, and it was just before sunset when I arrived home, and there in the back door was still the key.

I make a coffee and review my shots. If nothing else, they and the light captured made the walk well worth while.

Jools brings home fish and chips for dinner: I make a cuppa. The world is fine, it is the weekend after all. Jools watches last weeks Dr Who on the i player, then I watch the cup game on TV. Molly sits with me, purring gently, as the way things should be. It has been 6 years since we lost Sulu, I read my blogs late in the afternoon, and the memory of fining his body under our bed is fresh and raw as ever. We only had the old fella in or lives for a short time, but he was a happy cat, very much like Mulder, really. And we still miss him.

No comments: