Thursday 17 December 2015

Thursday 17th December 2015

Wednesday

The time arrived when it was time to head home for the final time this year. Phew, I have been so looking forward to writing those words for some while now. As my flight was 07:05, and with the hour drive to the airport, I set the alarm for four. At least at that time there would be little traffic around so I should get there in good time. It was just luck I woke up at five to four, just as my phone chirped that it was about to run out of power. There was enough power for the alarm to go off, but that was it.

I pack up, skip a shower and skip a coffee from reception, choosing instead to wait until I got to the airport. I program the sat nav, it does not tell me which exit to take off the roundabout outside the hotel, just the name of the road to take, so I had to go round a couple of times before I got it right. Down along the river, across a bidge to the otherside, back over another bridge and one final time as the main road took me through the suburbs, past dark shops, but all with flashing neon signs.

Onto the motorway, now, when I set the destination, I think I chose the quickest route, which meant the sat nav insisted I got off it again after 35 km, and then took me through a bewildering series of turns down country lanes, through sleeping villages, nowhere I recognised, but then I never have taken the same route twice.

In time I came to a dual carriageway, which seems to ring a distant bell in the back of my memory. According to the sat nav I was close, but nothing on the road signs. And suddenly, some 5km away, there it was on the sign. I park the car up, drop the keys off and walk to the terminal. I have to queue up to check in, as there were no self-service machine to use. Then I find that there queue for security was miles long, as I did not have access to the priority line, although I tried, and got refused. The shame of the economy traveler.

Flying home for Christmas Once through, I walk to the gate right away, hoping there would be a place to get something to eat and drink. Through immigration, and there was the gate, and 50 yards further on there was a cafe. I have a salami filled roll and a huge coffee. And all is well now.

Flights to Stanstead and Heathrow are called nearby, and there is a stampede to get seats, at least on the Easy Jet flight. Ours has just over 30 seats, and the plane is not full. So, I am last to board the bus once it is called, ready for the run to the distant pan to board our plane. I take to my seat and manage to snooze pretty much the whole flight, at least once we are in the air, walking up as we are approaching the Essex coast. As we drop down to run along the river, I take a few shots of Tilbury and Thurrock. A steady drizzle was falling, but I was home,a nd would be for three weeks.

Flying home for Christmas Once landed we make our way to immigration, I collect my case and make the station as a train to Stratford pulls in. Once there I have time for a Christmas muffin and a gingerbread latte before I wander down onto the platform for the train home.

I write mails on the train, which will be sent once I get home and logged onto the web. In doing so, the journey flashes by. The taxi is waiting for me, we know each other now, so he asks how it went, all good stuff, really. Up Jubilee Way, and looking over the Channel France is lost on the mist, but hey, I am home. Did I mention that?

Flying home for Christmas No cats welcomed me, but after putting the kettle on and switching the heating on it was soon getting warm, and one by one the cats came down to check out the noise. Its me, boys and girls! In turn they inquire about food.

Jools is going to get fish and chips on the way home, so no need to cook. Instead I try my best to keep my eyes open, not difficult as work will not leave me alone. In the end it is half five when I give up, I have already been up for 14 and a half hours and am shattered. Again.

Jools comes home, laden with parcels of hot food. I make the brews and we sit down to eat and chat. But I am done for the evening, we listen to some radio, but at half eight I head to bed, and am asleep when Jools comes up. Tomorrow will be better, I expect....

No comments: