Saturday 12 March 2016

Friday 11th March 2016

Thursday

The signs of spring have made it even into Denmark. Of course, it is easier to say of is a fine and sunny day, with the sun higher in the sky and not hidden by clouds. But before we get to the long sunny periods of the afternoon, I had to see the sun rise then the mist rise too. I had a 90 minute drive to where the next meeting was taking place, so I get up at half six, pack and get dressed. After checking out, time for a coffee before hitting the road.

As I leave Esbjerg, away in the east, the sun rises, almost invisible by the mist rising too, but coloured an angry red. It is an incredible sight, expecially through the network of fields and farms. But I don't stop to take a shot, mores the pity, I drive on.

After half an hour I reach the start of the dune, forming a finger of land and sealing off a lagoon to the west. It is a road I know well, I should have stopped to take some shots of the traditional turf-roofed fishermen's huts, but time is pressing, and I have only half an hour to get to the ship yard for the meeting. The fog is patching, just thin enough to drive at 80kmh, zipping past all the holiday homes, camp sites and villages. All empty and ghost-like at this time of the year, of course, but it won't be long before folks will be coming here for their holidays.

I arrive in Hvide Sande, the largest town along the dunes, and where the only entrance to the lagoon is, I drive over the bridge and arrive at the yard, some 20 minutes early. Henrik arrives 5 minutes later, I need coffee, and they did promise us breakfast. So, we walk to the boardroom where there are rolls, ham and cheese and pots of coffee. This is better.

We have the meeting, eat the food and drink the coffee.

Henrik and I have to leave to drive back to Esbjerg for another meeting. One I had organised, as I am away from work next week, traveling on Friday, it was the last day we could have it. So, I retrace my tyretracks down through the dunes, then across Jutland back to Esbjerg. The sun is high in the sky, the mist had burned off, and despite just being just above freezing, it did feel like spring. Almost.

My colleague, Brian, had bought chocolate cake to eat during the meeting, which was nice; seeing as both Henrik and I had missed lunch at the yard earlier. Once we had finished the meeting, had another slice of cake, I wrote up the minutes, sent them out, wrote a report for the meeting at the yard, sent that out. And I am nearly done for the week. JUst some more mails to send once I am in the hotel at the airport that evening.

I say goodbye to the guys in Esbjerg, and set out for the airport with the sun getting low in the west, casting warm golden light over the landscape. Traffic is light and with some radio station burbling away in the background, it is a please to be on the road on the first leg of the journey home.

I drop the car off and then go into the terminal for dinner; burger and beer again. For the third night in a row.

Thankfully, the reservation is good this week; but I think this will be the last time I stay in the Zleep, it feels downmarket, even with a new wing being built and nearly completed. There is no food, only coffee and snacks to buy. I have a few weeks before I am in DK next, so, who knows.

I search the TV channels for football, but the Spurs game, then the Liverpool v Man Utd game is on a small sports channel, 6, and I know the Zleep doesn't have that. So, I end up following the game on the BBC website whilst finishing my work for the week.

Whilst looking for my passport in the side pocket of my bag, I find my mobile phone. Meaning I hadn't forgotten it after all. I am so dumb sometimes, and better organised that I thought.

I set the alarm for six, and once the game ended, I went to bed. Phew.

2 comments:

nztony said...

What a fascinating little town Hvide Sande is. I Google Map and Street Viewed it, which probably wouldn't surprise you.

jelltex said...

The whole area is really interesting, and very unlike what you would imagine Scandinavia is like; all sand dunes, lagoons and holiday homes. It is a thriving town, with strong shipbuilding and tourist industries.