Friday 4 March 2016

Friday 4th March 2016

Thursday

And it should have all been so bloody simple.

Really.

Now, I should point out that, sadly, I have no pictures to illustrate this post, but you will have to take my word for this, because it really did happen.

Just like this. I woke up at a quarter past six, I lay in bed checking to make sure I hadn't lost a leg or arm during the night; all seemed fine, until I have an extra long stretch and I get cramp in my whole leg. I hop around the room until it passes, then look outside: more mist, but the sky was clearing, might even be a nice day.

I pack, get dressed and go down to check out, have breakfast, then have to scrape the ice of all the car windows; only the second time this winter I have had to do that. A gentle drive to the office, I listen to some of the latest pop tunes on the radio, the journey goes by quick.

Into the office, I find a desk, check the news, Faceache and Flickr as I had received no mails during the night. Other people arrive, it all seems friendly enough. I do miss the cats though, if I'm honest. But the coffee machine and the canteen make it bearable. We have a meeting, another meeting. Lunch, and about two hours into the afternoon I begin to get the beginnings of a headache. Others have already left, so as I have caught up on my work, I decide to leave too. Its just over an hour to the hotel, i could take it easy and arrive just after four, have an early dinner, check in and have a shower and a combat kip. Yes, that sounds fine.

At three the roads are quiet, no jams and so I cruise down the E45 to junction 57, overtaking the trucks but not racing. The sun is shining, the countryside is drying out after a very damp winter, it feels almost spring-like.

I drop the hire car off, go to the terminal and have burger and fries before walking to the Zleep. I wait in line, then state, I have a reservation, in the name of Hadingham. But his computer said no. I check my reservation, and it was for Aarhus. Not Billund. And the one in Billund was full to bursting. No room at the inn.

I walk back to the termnal, power up the laptop and try to book in at the Hotel Propellen: no room there either. I use one of the hotel portal, and get a room at a Kro in the centre of town. I now have to get there, so I walk back to the car hire place to see if they had processed my car, if not could I have the keys back, please? Good news, they hadn't, so I get the keys back, program the hotel address into the sat nav.

I find a place to park on a side street, walk to the hotel, and the receptionist was expecting me. I have a reservation, I said. Ah, yes. Only, there was a fault with Hotels.com, and it showed a reservation that was filled yesterday. I sighed and sagged at the shoulders. But, he says, there is a place, only 15km away, but they can't do dinner as it is full. I have eaten I say. OK, he gives me the address, then feeling very shameful about not having the room for me, tried to give me wine, beer, chocolates to make things up. I say not to worry, as long as I have a bed.

He says the new place is kind of like a Danish castle. OK< I am interested.

So, I drive through Billund, out into the country and towards Velje. About 5km before I reach the town, I have to turn off and there, on the left is something like a renaissance chateau, now a hotel and conference centre. Good enough for me in my stinky workwear. I get the final parking space, walk to reception, where there is much shuffling of paper, and I am given my room key. All is good, very sorry about the meal thing. Don't worry I have eaten I repeat.

The room is pretty standard modern hotel thing, but there are two good beds, a large TV, a good bathroom and excellent internet connection. It will do fine.

I have a shower then make a cup of tea, as the room HAS A KETTLE! Only the second hotel in DK that has had one.

I while away the night, writing blog posts, listening to the radio. Phew, I am shattered. Darkness is complete outside, and apart for the kitchen along the corridor, it is quiet. I'll sleep well anyway. I give into the sleep at half nine.

No comments: