Friday 4 March 2016

Thursday 3rd March 2016

Wednesday

Last time we had to upgrade the operating system on our work computers, it took over two weeks to get everything working as it should. So, the demand that we upgrade to Windows 10 this week made us wonder if it would be as bad as the one to 8.

Outside, the snow that fell during the night was rapidly melting, and a slight mist lay over the city. I could see the traffic building on the main road down below already. I go down for breakfast, grabbing a bowl of fruit, but then see the pancakes, syrup and bacon. I was hooked, but have just a couple, but that is enough of the sweet, salty goodness.

On the roads, it is fairly quiet, so I make my way across the city and then up to the northern quarter to the office. I go round to see those who are already in, saying hello and catching up before grabbing a desk, and clicking on the install software icon. Not much happened. So I grab a coffee, grab another, and the computer chugged away.

Just over an hour later it is done, all my files are still there, and all programs seem to work. So, no excuse for an unproductive day.

It passes quietly; I do work, and get stuff done, which is always nice. By late afternoon the traffic is building outside the office, so if you have not left by three, then forget it until half four or later, unless you just want to sit in traffic. I work on.

At quarter to five there is no traffic outside, so I pack up for the ten minute drive back to the hotel. It is still light, showing that I am much further north I suppose. Back in the hotel, I have a shower, listen to some radio until it is time to meet Chris at half six to a walk to Memphis.

The Memphis is a smokehouse, and he said it is good, and it is also his turn to pay! So, lead on McDuff.

Past ARoS, down the hill to the bright neon lights of the smokehouse, they have a table, I order ribs and a beer. You could order two or three mains on the same plate, if you were hungry…..

The ribs were great, meat falling off the bone good, and covered in sweet smoky sauce. Time enough to walk the ten minutes to the Highlander for a couple of swifters in the establishment owned by Julian, and ex-RAF cook. Sorry, chef. The beer, whisky and rum are all good. But we are shattered, and Julian switches the Dexys soundtrack to some soft lovers rock as there are lovebirds canoodling in the corner. Our cue to leave.

Outside it is snowing again, but huge wet flakes, that melt when they get to the ground. I need sleep, but am sidetracked by more football on TV when I get in, but not for long, as it soon ends with a win for Liverpool over Citeh. This really is a season of surprises.

No comments: