Sunday 28 May 2017

Sunday 21st May 2017

It would be fair to say that we were tired after our trip up on Friday/Saturday, mainly due to the poor night’s sleep we had on the train. As an experience, it was worth doing, and to wake up in Scotland. But on the downside, the carriages are ancient, there was no ventilation in the cabins, the bottom sheets did not stay on the mattresses, but top of the list was the lack of room.

One hundred and thirty nine I don’t want to sound like I moan all the time, but two adults with a week’s luggage does not fit into the cabin well. Anyway, the reason I say this was that it was agreed that we take things easy on Sunday, hang around the house, some gentle walking, and me listening to the final day of the Premier League season. Oh, and read my new book. Yes, I am reading again, and as if by magic David Hepworth has a new one out for our holiday, it arrived the day Jools left home on Friday.

A walk around Teangue But we got up at six, a cuckoo was singing in the trees behind the house, but if I am being accurate, it should be called a cuck, as it had lost its oo. Anyway, he seemed at home on Skye, as do we.

Jools and I take ourselves to the top of the steep lane we are staying on, looking at the mix of traditional and new build houses, all overlooking the sound in a natural amphitheatre. We marvel at the abundance of wild flowers, all growing out of a stone wall, so overgrown it was mostly plants and very little wall.

A walk around Teangue Once home, and it being a Sunday, it was time to introduce Tony to the bacon buttie. I had bought some hickory smoked rashers the day before, and soon they were grilling well and filling the house with fine smells. Jools and I have brews, and Tony has some juice, he is a non tea and coffee drinker, so fails to have the full British breakfast experience.

A walk around Teangue THat morning, Tony goes out to walk and explore, as there is an old castle at the bottom of the road. I know, how wonderful does that sound, anyway, Jools and I stay home to read, and she suggests I light the fire in the living room.

A walk around Teangue This I do, and soon we have a roaring fire, burning away, warming the room and filling the house with a faint smell of wood.

We have pizza and beer/cider for lunch, once Tony returns, and soon after taking my place on the sofa afterwards, I feel my eyes begin to drop. I fight sleep for an hour, but Jools gives in and goes for a lie down.

A walk around Teangue THe football was OK, but I am glad the season is coming to an end, as it was a bright afternoon and we really should have gone out. Anyway. Always tomorrow.

More pizza for dinner, and more reading. And looking out of the living room window at darkness creeping over the sound, and the bright lights of Mallaig harbour twinkling in the distance.

Another day done.

No comments: