Thursday 4 May 2017

Wednesday 3thd May 2017

Despite it being the beginning of May, the morning got darker, not lighter. THe Biblical amount of rain forecast maybe wasn't as bad as thought, but for a couple of hours at least, rain fell from the sky like it does from a power shower. Cats sat on windowsills looking mournfully out, hoping they could go out. ONly Mulder doesn't mind, he goes out, comes back in shakes himself dry then goes back outside.

Days when I work from home things are a bit dull, not much happens, other than work, cats, listening to the radio, watching birds in the garden; that kind of stuff. I mean I could wright reams about what I do each day, but you would soon get bored. Let me just say I did a combination of the above for eight hours at which point I finished for the day and Molly and I watched Time Team.

One hundred and twenty one The real highlight of the day, if it can be called that, was the delivery of the hire car for Thursday's road trip. What should happen is that I send in a request detailing every aspect of my travel request, and then on the day, that actually happens. What happens in reality is that the request for the car goes in, but no other details, like insurance and paperwork allowing me to take it into another country and the fact it needs delivery fail to get passed on. So, at eight in the morning I thought, maybe I should call the hire car place.

This I do and it is confirmed they have a car. Do you want it delivered? Yes please. So an hour later, during the downpour the car is delivered, but with no green card. The poor lady who was soaked to the skin knew nothing of the green card. OK, I'll go to the office I said, easy now I have a car.

So an hour later I drive to the port, and get soaked walking from the car park to the office, and find that in a turn up there was a queue, so I wait in line to be seen, then again as Adrian writes out the triple paperwork. Of course, it was whilst doing this that the phone goes crazy and the world and his wife calls demanding me take action on something. I'm at the car hire office. Make sure it gets done as soon as possible I am told.

That is done, I have the paperwork, so can drive up the cliffs to home. Not up the cliffs, but you know, up Jubilee Way, the car has plenty of horses under the bonnet, which is nice.

And so the day passes.

We have breaded chicken fillets with fresh baby Jersey potatoes and pan fried asparagus for dinner. Not a complicated meal, but perfect spring food, full of flavour and fresh. I was going to make brews to go with it, but in the end open a bottle of wine, because, wine.

And that was your day, ending with football on the radio, of course. And tomorrow I go on the final trip to Belgium on the project. I have been on this project since September 2015, and traveling to Oostende since September 2016. It has been one hell of a ride. Its not done yet, but by the time I get back from holiday, there will just be the loose ends to sort out.

Wow.

No comments: