Monday 22 May 2023

Sunday 21st May 2023

Sometimes we forget what little acts of kindness can do for people.

One good act will make someone's day. Maybe Year.

Four years ago I was contacted by a lady via e mail asking about the then recently discovered "green" Fly Orchid. Could I give her directions?

Orchis purpurea I did, and heard nothing.

For four years.

Two weeks or so back I get a follow up mail, asking if the orchid was out. It wasn't, but I would keep tabs on it. And on Thursday I got news that one spike had opened and was indeed gloriously green.

Orchis purpurea I let Sarah know (not her real name), and she said that they, her and Philip (also not his real name) would be down the weekend. I had no idea where they lived, but two nights were booked in a hotel and we would met at the gate to the reserve at 11 on Sunday.

Orchis purpurea So, that was my Sunday taken care of, I would make my way there at nine, via Woolage (to check on the Bird's Nest Orchids).

Orchis purpurea Sunday mornings are not so focussed on getting up and going out like Saturdays are, but I still had to be out fairly sharpish. We had coffee, fruit, croissants and then more coffee.

Orchis purpurea Perfect.

Jools would stay home and chill, while I would go out and dazzle.

Woolage is a former mining village, now set in quiet contryside, and just two small works of art that mark the once great Kentish coal industry. I park on the main road, walk over the annoying recently mowed village green towards the wood.

Orchis purpurea I vanish into the almost invible gap in the folliage, and was inside a dark, green space, with the thich carpet of leaved deadening every sound. I had been told there were three spikes to find, so I set along the main drag, then down the side path. I thought my orchid eyes were failing me, and then I saw a fairly large spike, in flower, just sticking out of the dead leaves.

Neottia nidus-avis So, I get down to get my shots. Some orchids you can snap leaning over and looking down, BNOs, it seems, you cannot.

Ophrys insectifera I did find the second spike on the path as I was told, so found two out of three.

And that aint bad.

Into the car and drove across the A2, through Barham, down the Elham Valley, then across past PGD onto Stone Street, and finding the small lay bay free for the 4th visit this year, I reverse in and get the camera out. I had an hour to kill, with just orchids and butterflies to keep me occupied.

Ophrys insectifera So I walk along the very familiar tracks, but see new stuff, like a Greater Butterfly Orchid nearly out on a place I had never seen them before. I stopped for twenty minutes at the bench, taking in the view, thinking of the long, dark winter months just dreaming of days like this.

I walk on, lots of Fly Orchids to see and enjoy, and further on many Lady Orchids too.

I am at the gate waiting, when:

once they arrived helped carry their stuff to the clearing so they go be in the presence of Green and take shots.

As we were doing the introductions, a familiar figure appeared from up the Gogway, I knew that had. It was Jon, author and tour guide who had also come to pay respects to the green Fly. We greeted each other, swapped news, and we let Jon go ahead.

One hundred and forty one It took Philip maybe half an hour to get up the 400 yards to the clearing, but he did it, and he finally got to see the Green Fly.

Cephalanthera damasonium I left them to it, made my way down and back to the car, as I had invited them back to Chez Jelltex for coffee and tart.

They said they were coming.

And we had to have lunch before.

So, back home without incident, and together we make Caprese, working as a team. I toast the last of the bread to go with it, and we can sit down to eat, then clear up and be ready when they appeared at half two.

We all sat on the patio in the sun, I made coffee and sliced up the tart, so we could then sit for a couple of hours talking about orchids, botany and other wildlife.

It was all rather pleasant and civilised.

At half four they say they should be getting back, so they walk to the car turn round and are gone. They will drive back to Devon tomorrow, Philip 90, with his problems wanted to come to Kent to see that one orchid. And he did.

I went to watch football. Citeh, already Champions, were playing, not sure who to be honest. Once Citeh scored, the match had the look and feel of a practice match, and that was that. But very unengaging, I have to say.

Citeh are worty champions, and have played some wonderful football. But nothing is left to chance.

From the top down to the bottom of the club, the best people make decisions, and generally are the right ones. I can't remember them making a poor signing in years, and the players seem to love it. Yet it feels so soulless. Citeh are a front for a Middle Eastern State sportswashing machine, and the money spent, no matter how wisely, is bloodstained.

This is the 4th Championship in five years, so very predictable, and getting a little boring, no matter how brilliant they are.

What if they domnate for another two years? Five years? Decade?

Will we still watch?

No comments: