Tuesday 30 April 2024

Monday 29th April 2024

Just before we went to Iceland, the land of fire and ice, Jen went the other way, all the way round the world to Australia to visit friends, family and to escape the English winter.

One hundred and twenty Monday, she was to return, thanks to a series of flights, the last of which was from Doha, arriving in London at lunchtime. Jools and John were going to meet her, so I suggested going in Jen's car so I could have our car, and I could go orchiding once work was done, as Monday was blessed with glorious weather, the only day for week such blessed.

Pieris brassicae Jools went swimming, then to the tip before coming back here for breakfast, and setting off to collect John on the way.

I worked.

I could also keep an eye on the flight arrivals to let Jools know of any delays.

Come two, and Jen had arrived though was still waiting for her cases, so I went out, driving along the A20 to Hythe, then up Stone Street to Yockletts.

Gonepteryx rhamni I parked in the usual place, but on my walking shoes and got the walking pole ready. I thought about the crampons, but thought better of it, and set off.

Pyrrhosoma nymphula Almost straight away I saw a couple of male Orange Tips, the second of which was feeding, so crept up and got some shots with its wings open.

Bombus pascuorum Next up were a pair of male Brimstones in a new clearing set up to expand orchid habitat, and one displayed nicely too, hanging upside down.

Orchis mascula Further on I saw a very large white butterfly, and this was a male Large White, freshly emerged and feeding well.

One final insect was a female Large Red Damselfly, which despite being miles from water, was apparently very happy on the wooded down.

Orchis mascula I walked on and found several orchid species in flower: Early Purple, Fly, Common Twayblade and Lady, as well as a host of other spring plants all soaking up the warm spring sunshine.

Neottia ovata I walked the path up to the lower meadow, but saw no Green Hairstreaks, though it being warm enough. I did see, though not snap a Small Tortoiseshell, two Peacocks and three Common Blues, all looking freshly emerged.

Orchis purpurea From the meadow, don to the mother lode of Fly Orchids, then up joining the higher path to look at the Lady orchids that usually thrive there. But it seems recent tree clearance has wrought havoc on the population, and just a handful remain.

Orchis purpurea Over the road to check on the Green Fly, of which there was no sign, then up to the Greater Butterfly and Herb Paris before turning back. I decided against climbing to the upper meadow due to the steep and muddy path, nor went along the lower path, as pretty much all my targets had been found.

Orchis purpurea I met a couple of lady walkers who I had seen earlier. They had been looking for Fly Orchids, and when I saw them before, had yet to see one. We crossed again at the lower meadow, so I asked if they had seen any. The said they hadn't. Look behind the bench, I said.

Orchis purpurea They did, and in clear sight was a fine small group of Fly.

Their only task then was to get a shot with the spikes steady as they were waving in the breeze.

And then a single Red KIte flew low over our heads, clearing us by about twenty feet. An amazing sight to bring my visit to an end.

Anyway, I had to get back to meet up with Jools at Jen's as they had arrived home.

I went back along the A2 from Braham, then into Whitfield were the final Chelsea Tractors from the school run were moving off, having parked on pavements and across driveways as is their wont.

Orchis purpurea Jens was pleased to see me, though tired. So after chatting for 15 minutes, we leave, but instead of coming home, we drove to Deal for dinner out, plumping for some kebab action at Aspendos.

As always it wasn't busy, so we ordered starter and main, and waited for the courses to be brought, while outside, people walked by eating ice cream or bags of fish and chips, while on the other side of the road, the sea glistened in the sunshine.

Back home, then, in the evening sunshine, getting home at seven, way later to feed the cats, but they were happy once their bowls were full, and we had made sweet, dark coffee.

Leicester on the tellybox, though already promoted, so the game at Preston didn't really engage as there was no edge to it. I went to bed at half time, thus missing The Foxes rattle in three goals to seal the Championship.

No comments: