Tuesday 23 April 2024

Saturday 20th April 2024

It am the weekend. And after eight hours sleep, I hope no risk of migraines.

Not much planned for the day, because as usual after a trip away I like my home comforts.

Maybe if there was a rare orchid to see, I might be tempted, but otherwise, not much chance.

We go to Tesco just after seven, and are back out a hundred quid lighter, by eight, and on our way home, as come nine, Dixon is returning to paint our upstairs hallway.

One hundred and eleven I get a message from friend and author, Jon, to say is coming down with a friend to see the unusual orchid down on the Hoe, so could meet me, at say eleven?

Apodemus sylvaticus So, that's the rare orchid to tempt me out of the house for.

Dixon arrived just after nine with two tins of paint and a pot of filler. And he gets to work right away, and never asks for anything as in his previous two jobs here. He just gets on with it, sometimes taking a call, but carrying on working just the same.

Ophrys sphegodes Jools is busy in the garden again, so stays behind when I go to Samphire, and thanks to conflicting reports, check round the overflow car park first for the unusual orchids.

Ophrys sphegodes I see no sign of Jon, so carry on inspecting every spike seen, and as usual find some with different, stronger markings than others. These are snapped.

Off down the path, where I see a guy stopping to check spikes too, I stop again to look at every spike on the way.

In the distance I see two figures, I suspect this is Jon, which is the case, though I am at the site looking for the strange ESO.

Ophrys sphegodes Jon arrives, we shake hands then hug, and he asks if I had found the spike?

No, just checking a bit further away.

He laughs and says it is good to know I have walked right past it and not seen it. A short distance away he points, and there as clear as day is the little plant with two of the unusual flowers open, bobbing in the breeze.

Ophrys sphegodes It certainly isn't var. flavescens, which translation means yellow coloured, which describes an orchid, or flower, with low pigmentation giving an apparent all-over yellow tint. This has strong coloured lip colourisation along the edge of the li both sides, but no colour or markings in the centre.

Ophrys sphegodes undescribed variant I take shots, Jon holds a diffuser for me to shade the plant from the strong sunlight. And then I'm done.

We walk back to the car, say goodbye and I drive back home, going to Capel and doing a 180 returning back to Dover and then to home up Jubilee Way.

Ophrys sphegodes undescribed variant Back home Dixon is still working away, so we have lunch of bacon butties and huge brews before I settle down for the football. Which on TV will mean back to back games from 12:20 all the way to half nine, with only the games at three needed to be listened to on the radio.

Ophrys sphegodes undescribed variant Norwich really only needed three points to secure the play off spot, indeed after WBA lost to Leicester, a win would take us 5th, but there is little surprise to hear that City only drew 1-1 in a game they under-performed.

Then came the FA Cup semi-final, Citeh v Chelsea, with minted Chelsea due to having wasted the billion quid spent on new players over the last the transfer windows, making the squad and team worse than before. Citeh won 1-0, and afterwards Arsenal won 2-0 away at Wolves

By which time it was time for bed.

No comments: