Sunday 14 April 2024

Sunday 14th April 2024

There will be a break in blogs and picture uploads as I am off on my travels for work, and will not take my laptop with me. So, despite it being only four in the afternoon, today's post is coming, as I have to get up in the middle of the night to catch my flight in the morning.

One hundred and five So, Sunday morning.

Let's go to Samphire Hoe!

Why not?

Samphire Hoe has once of the largest populations of Early Spider Orchids in the country, certainly in Kent, but it being a country park, its best to go early before the dogwalkers and joggers are out in force.

Ophrys sphegodes So, down on the Hoe just before eight, parked up and instead of going along the sea wall, we go beside the railway. And even before we reach the gate to that track, I had found 19 flowering spikes, including one with 6 open flowers.

Ophrys sphegodes This is incredible.

We walk right along to Abbostscliff, and find close to 90 spikes, most already flowering. On the way we meet a nice young man, Joe, down from Surrey to check on the orchids, so we walk and chat.

Ophrys sphegodes We take him to the foot of the cliff, and we find another dozen large spikes there, and on the shelves dotting the cliff face we see another thirty of forty spikes, again most in flower.

Ophrys sphegodes But my knee was suggesting we had done enough, and it was a ten minute walk, 15 minute hobble back to the car, past the worm-danglers.

Ophrys sphegodes It was a relief to get to the car, and slump into the seat to drive home, to Capel, then back towards Dover.

Ophrys sphegodes Once home I check in for the flight, Jools makes breakfast and coffee, while outside the clouds part and we are blessed with warm sunshine.

Ophrys sphegodes Bacon butties are eaten for lunch, and then with ice pack strapped on, I watch Palace beat Liverpool to shake up the title race. Or give it to Citeh, depends on how cynical you are.

No comments: