Sunday 14 May 2023

Saturday 13th May 2023

The weekend.

And its so good to be back home again.

And the weather was supposed to be fantastic both days, only no one told Mother Nature, who instead of blue skies sent us white cloud and a cold north wind.

One hundred and thirty three Of course we had to go to Tesco first thing, so after coffee we leave, and a shop that included a box of cider, wine and two lots of coffee only came to £111, which might mean prices are heading down. We buy a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, which isn't cheap. Over processed crap food is cheap, however.

Back home for breakfast and coffee. Jools said she would stay home for the morning, meaning I could go wherever I wanted, for all day.

Thing is, while other parts of the country have Common Spotted and Southern Marsh in flower, here in east Kent it seems to be at least two weeks later than last year.

My first call was also my first visit to PGD of the year, hoping to see signs of the cheeky Monkey (orchids). I had read that the Hardy Orchid Society's trip there had been pushed back three weeks, and I could see why. Just EPO in flower, that and ten million cowslips, turning the down yellow to the horizon.

PGD I take a shot and go to Yockletts.

I have someone asking about the green Fly, so go back every week to check. But a wander round the reserve isn't a hardship, with the Ladys in pretty much full flower, the greater Butterfly and White Helleborines almost out too. I park at the south of the reserve, and do the usual circuit. The green Fly still hasn't show, and with just two spikes showing their yet to open, maybe this is the year they fail?

Orchis purpurea But lots to see and enjoy, but the bluebells are now rushing to seed, so the blue hue of the woodland floor is now but a memory for another year. And only a few butterflies, I chase a male Orange Tip for a few minutes, but it fails to settle, so I let it go and go back to the orchids. Everywhere there are regular Fly in flower, and more still to come too. Its been a great year again for them.

Orchis purpurea I sat in the lower meadow thinking how we long for spring during the long, dark winter months, and when it arrives, it rushes by in a few short weeks, the lush grown turning to darker greens as the summer progresses.

Orchis purpurea I turn for the car.

I drive back down Stone Street then along the motorway. Its quiet, fears of queues of freight are now a thing of the past due to freight levels using the port so much lower.

Orchis purpurea Back home and we have a brew, then lunch. Caprese, which is pretty much our favourite summer meal, served with fresh sliced bread and a glass or two of wine, its perfect.

Orchis purpurea THen there is football, even if the season is finished for Norwich, it still goes on and on. THe Premier League has three games to go, and then there are play off games on the Football League. Sunderland kick off at half five, each of their goals against Luton is broadcast 45 seconds before I see it on my feed for some reason, the cheers coming from Steve and his son next door.

Orchis purpurea And that was the day done.

No comments: