Friday 3 April 2015

Friday 3rd April 2015

Thursday.

The day of the great car exchange.

Or, the day we get our new wheels. And we're as excited as kids, although if the reality can be a little disappointing too. But more of that in a bit.

As I needed the car, old car, with which I had to part exchange for the new motor, I had to drop Jools off in town so she could catch the bus to work. For a working morning, all was quiet, and she was the only one in Penchester, and there were no buses. Hers was due any moment, so I dropped her off and went back home.

Another coffee, switch on the computer, fire off some mails, update a project document. And I think the rest can wait. At ten I switch the computer off. Into the kitchen to make saffron buns. This I really like, as the combination of yeast and saffron is wonderful, but that moment will have to wait as the dough has to be mixed then left to rise for several hours. I also make a batch of pasta salad, that done, I see I have a couple of hours to kill before I have to be at the garage.

The last journey

I drive down the Nailbourne valley, up over the downs into another valley where there in a wood which is full of orchids. I walk up the bridleway to where the wood gets thicker, on both sides there are thousands of bluebells still growing furiously, and maybe a month from blooming. A little further up, there are the familiar spotted rosettes. There are many more than two weeks ago, but the spikes are still growing, and at least two weeks from being being full of blooms. I guess the weather has not warmed as expected, which explains why they are later than I expected.

Early Purple Orchid Orchis mascula

Anyway, having seen the Early Purples, I make my way back down to the car, and drive back towards Dover where it is show time at the garage.

Traffic is light, so I arrive a few minutes early. Inside many folks are looking around the shiny things in the showroom. All is ready for me, the most amazing amount of paperwork to sign, I am introduced to the service manager, as they want to sell us a service plan, which may or may not be good value. Sign more papers, shake hands with the franchise manager, and I get the keys. It has been brought round to the door, all black and shiny. I get in, it has 5 miles on the clock. I adjust the mirrors, put on the seat belt and start the engine. It hardly makes a noise.

Driving off the forecourt means the car loses a third of its value. There is no indication of this when you are driving.

I take the car into town, down Castle Hill, through the market place and up Military Hill the other side to St Martin's Battery. I snap the car, snap the view. Any other driving around is wasteful I think sensibly. So I drive back, put the buns in the oven, as I have an hour before I have to leave and collect Jools from work.

The house is soon filled with the glorious small of the baking buns. It is wonderful. Once I cooked i could have eaten one thickly buttered there and ten. But I will wait until we are home.

A drive through the Alkham Valley to Folkestone, then through Saltwood to Hythe, arriving at the factory some 20 minutes early. I work out how the radio works, and listen to the end of the Steve Wright show, I shudder to think Radio 1 used to be like this.

Jools drives back, and she is happy with the car. Just as well really.

Back home I make a brew and we have one of the buns. So full of saffrony goodness and flavour. Lovely.



Later we have Scotch eggs with the pasta, which whilst not perfect means it is dished up within 5 minutes of hunger being declared. That evening I watch TOTP, and it was the edition I hoped for, the one with Rush featured, and Spirit of Radio. Back in March 1980, I was into heavy metal and loud music in general. Rush were like Gids, like they are again now, but back then, when it was announced that Rush would be featured on Top of the Pops as they had a hit record, all of my friends and I were so excited. So we wait all week to Thursday night, and third record in, Spirit of Radio is announced, but much to our horror, its the song which the dance 'troupe' Legs & Co were dancing too. But its worse than that, as they must have had a week off, as its a compilation of their 'finest' moments, all done with added dreadful visual effects.



I remember the letters of complaints to Sounds the week after. The shock of that I still remember to this day. That was countered by Martha and the Muffins being on the same show, but then so was Shakin' Stevens doing his innuendo filled song, Hot Dog.

No comments: