Saturday 18 April 2015

Saturday 18th April 2015

Friday.

It is 19 years since Dad passed away. I don't make a deal of it on the day, or any day to be honest. Not a day goes by when I don't think about him in some way, so I don't get too maudlin on the actual anniversary. Nor any day, really. Mum usually reminds me the week before, as she did this year, and I make the same comment as ever, much as I have written above. I think it is far better we show those who we love how we feel when they are alive than make up for our shortcomings in their death. That is my lesson. Or hers. I can say I did not really understand him at the time, but we did make up just before he died, and we had that one glorious last Christmas, I would not have missed that for everything in my life.

Other people come and go, but there is really only one Dad. As it turned out, I had hoped that our shared love of all things yellow and green would have something really great to celebrate last night, we had our third from last game of the season, against Middlesborough, and whoever lost it would deal a death-blow to their automatic promotion. Boro scored an early goal, and shut up shop, and City could not break them down, time ran out without us scoring. Boro went top, we sunk to 4th. Oh dearie me. So, it will be the play-oofs for us, best get used to the idea and not feel sorry for ourselves.

The day began with a dentist appointment.

Well, after dropping Jools of at work, there was time to go back home, have breakfast and after cleaning my teeth again, I went into Dover for the appointment. I needed a filling, and as it was looking bad, another appointment was booked in for later in the morning, but no point in going home, so I wander round Dover, mixing it with the early shoppers and drinkers in the Eight Bells. At eleven I was back inside and in the chair, this won't hurt he lied. Why is it that our South African dentist has been replaced by another South African? How odd.

So at quarter past twelve, with a numb mouth, dribbling, I was free for the day. And as I have to travel on Sunday again, despite me thinking those days were behind me, I decided to grant myself the afternoon off as I would be putting in a shift on Sunday.

I drove don onto the Hoe to look at the Early Spider Orchids. I had heard from a friend some were out, and Mark even told me where they were. So, I walked past the rail workers who are down there trying to stabilise the cliffs above the main line, they watched wondering what I could be doing, as I walked along, with eyes on the ground, always looking for something.

Early Spider orchid Ophrys sphegodes

Three quarters of the way along, I saw the first flowering spike, barely that as the flower head was barely visible. However, it was the first orchid of the season, and I was going to snap it. Further along there were more and more spikes, some open, some had more than one flower. I snapped them. In truth macro photography was difficult with a very strong east wind blowing, I had to use a 250th second shutter speed to freeze the orchid, and hope that it would be in focus.

Early Spider orchid Ophrys sphegodes

I gave up and walked back to the car and decided to drive to another site. I knew that the downs would not have that much as yet, so I knew a sheltered wooded down, where Flys are a speciality, but Early Purples can be see there too.

Stone Street was blocked some way up, so I thought of heading through Stelling Minis to get round where I thought the black was. Turns out I could have got there without trouble, but I did not know that, and anyway, tootling along the Kentish country lanes is such a pleasure, I really did not mind.

Early Purple Orchid Orchis mascula

Across Stone Street, and down the lane, more of a track really, to where the small lay by is, I reverse in, and just a few yards in there are hundreds of orchids.

I grabbed my gear, and made my way into the reserve. The Lady Orchids were not yet showing, but further along I saw dozens of Twayblade rosettes, with hundreds of Bee Flys flitting about. I snap them, and a Peacock Butterfly too. Up the track, at the familiar clearing, dappled sunshine picks out a few flowering spikes of the Early Purples, maybe half a dozen of them.

Early Purple Orchid Orchis mascula

Even further along, I reach the clearing, and there is not a breath of wind to be felt either. There are more rosettes showing, but few inspects on the wing, but I do see a Brimstone, but it long gone by the time I have my macro lens fitted and walked over to where I saw it last.

Early Purple Orchid Orchis mascula

Along narrow lanes I make my way to the Granville on Stone Street, where I knew there would be some fine food and ale on offer for the hungry orchid hunter. My mouth was no longer numb, and the pain of the dentist chair was fading. I have fish cakes and a portion of fries, washed down by a pint of Early Bird. It were great.

There was just time to go to the other major orchid site nearby, but after making my way along the narrow dead end lane, I find the parking space blocked by a landrover and trailer. The farmer asks me nicely if we don't park there any more, as the gate opposite is in regular use, and in truth it saves a ten minute walk, which is not a bad thing is it? So, I back down the lane, make my way round the wood to the parking area on the other side. Grabbing my gear, I just have a walk down the long tree-lined track.

Into the reserve, and I expect to see Early Purples by the gate. They are there, but just rosettes, and no spikes. Oh well, may as well check on all the other species that can be found here. I see thousands of spikes, or something close to that anyway: Lady, Greater Butterfly, White Hellebroine amongst others. I walk to the far end, in the hope of seeing some Duke of Burgundy butterflies. Lots of their foob plants, but no butterflies. Oh well.

I look at my watch and I realise I have less than half an hour to get to Hythe to meet Jools out of work. So, I walk back to the car, and try to work out the best way thus avoiding the blocked road. I manage it, turn onto Stone Street, which was very quiet what with it being a dead end now. Stone Street is an old Roman Road, so is dead straight, and the temptation is to put your foot down, but there are junctions, and there could be deer on either side, so I tootle along, knowing I would just about be in time.

I was, and I wave to Jools from across the Common, on which a fun fair had been set up. It wasn't open yet, so she gets in and we drive to the motorway and back home.

Chorizo hash for dinner, as I wanted to be all ready for when the football began at half seven. And as we know, that didn't go well, and once the result was confirmed, it was time for bed.

No comments: