Saturday 23 April 2016

Saturday 23rd April 2016

Friday

My original travel plans for the week had included a very late return to Heathrow; from there I would have to have got to central London then to Kent. At least a two hour trip, if not nearer three, meaning I would get home at midnight. So Jools decided it would be better to come and pick me up, and we would be home in 90 minutes. And then the meeting on Thursday got cancelled, and so changed my travel, hence I was home by teatime.

In order to be able to pick me up, she had booked a day off on Friday, and with it being a day off in DK, and having caught up with work, we might go out during the day, doing "stuff".

I woke up with Scully asleep on my feet, as is the usual way when am at home, it was twenty to seven, and there was brightness creeping round the edge of the curtains. I stretch then get up to feed the cats and make coffee. Soon the smell of brewing coffee spread through the house; it is a fine way to start the day, topping up the espresso with hot water. Jools has her instant coffee, that me being a coffee snob, shidders to make, but as she likes it like that, then who am I to argue?

I check mails, fire off some replies and update some project documents. In an hour I am done, and we then have to nip into Canterbury. It has come to pass that my photography has outgrown the EF-S format and in particular the Sigma 10-20mm lens. What with the trip to Japan coming up, I don't really want to lig two lenses around, so the thought was of trading in the camera and lens for a full frame wide angle zoom. Canterbury Cameras had what I wanted, and with Jools wanting to nip into the city centre, it gave me time to buy the lens, if it was still there of course.

Lens We drive up the A2 to the city, park near St Augustine's Abbey, and from there it a short walk to the shop. I had been in communication with the shop during the week, so when I walk in the shop and ask about the lens, they say, "Are you Ian?". I am indeed. I try the lens, it is sharp as a razor blade, so I put it on my credit card and the lens is mine.

Test shot I go to wait in the car, and switch Radio 6 on as they are playing Prince tunes all day, and it is great stuff, even if the reason for them playing is not.

We are both hungry, it is nudging half eleven, which means it was nearly lunchtime, so the next question was where to eat? I had thought either Whickhambreaux or Ickham, and as there was no parking to be had at the former, the Duke William in Ickham it was.

There is a good menu: Jools chooses fish pie and I decide in fish and chips. Every time O have that, I think of a certain former Olympic Cyclist on the other side of the world, thinking he would love to be here waiting for lunch. Indeed, when it arrives, the fish is pure white showing how fresh it is, and the batter is so golden, so crispy; perfect. I sup a pint of Ripple Steam whilst I eat, then am tempted to have rhubarb and cold custard compote, which was very bitter-sweet, and perfect.

We drive home so I can check on work mails once more, then try the lens out at home, but I really need to go somewhere church-like to really put it through its paces.

I put my old Sigma lens and the 50D for sale, and right away have someone asking about it. We agree a fee and he will come by at seven to pick it up and pay me! No going back now. So, we make the deal.

On the radio, wall to wall Prince tunes plays on. What a dreadful year this has been for good talented people to be taken from us, why not the odd dictator or FIFA Official instead?

The bloke comes round at just before seven; tries the lens, is very happy and gives me a was of notes in exchange. Deal done.

The day fades out to dusk outside and a steady rain begins to fall. I have hope of sunshine in the morning so I can go orchid hunting, but we shall see. There is a good documentary on the Everly Brothers after The Don, but Jools eyes cannot stay open, so she takes to her bed at half nine. I am tempted by a Prince documentary after that, so am heading for bed late at quarter to eleven. But it is the weekend. So, hey!

1 comment:

nztony said...

Very proud to make the internationally known power blog we know as The Outside of the Asylum.
I guess you are referring to this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/5318127953

I think I have mentioned in the past that fish and chips at Deal sounds like a good idea one day too, or Whistable. Although I know there would be many suitable places over your way.