Sunday 10 April 2016

Sunday 10th April 2016

Saturday

Meow.

Meow.

So said one of the cats just before sunrise. Oh well, why would we want a lay in at the weekend anyway? Said the young Jelltex as I walked downstairs to feed the mogs. I may as well make coffee, spose.

We agree that I would go shopping and Jools would get the weekly laundry started. So, once the coffee was drunk, I grabbed the shopping list and rushed out to Tesco before the crowds arrive. The roads are empty, or so little traffic around to make any difference.

We don't need much stuff, veg and some bread. I whisk round the shop grabbing beer, cider, canned fruit, fresh vegetables and other essentials. So in 15 minutes I was done. I am back home, unpacked and making croissants for breakfast with more coffee.

Another weekend, and another day of wind and rain. So, there was little we could do, apart from go to Preston to the butcher and garden centre. Already the drizzle was turning heavier, it was going to be a grim day all in all. I have given up checking on seeing if St Mildred's is unlocked, I will try and make arrangements to get inside. One day. Failing that there is always the steam fair in the village when the church is open, so, steam engines and churches; sounds like heaven to me. All there would is orchids and it would be perfection.

Chicken fillets, pork steaks, lamb chops, wild garlic flavoured sausages and steak for that evening's dinner. Meat-tastic.

Back home in driving rain, once again the BBC was spot on with their forecast. Arriving back home at just after ten meant that we could listen to the Huey show on the wireless before the football began just before one.

We have mozzarella cheese and tomatoes for lunch. And some red wine. It was very nice, but I could feel my eyes getting heavy before we finished the meal. I take to the sofa and sleep through the second half of the game of the season as West Ham come from 2-0 down to draw with Arse 3-3.

At three the main group of games begin, with Norwich at Palace; and it is a poor game. City are denied a penalty, then conced with 15 mnutes to go, and never look like pulling level. At least Newcastle are beaten too, losing 3-1 at Southampton, and so are six points behind Norwich.

We have steak for dinner; and I have the last of the decent wine I have from mthe offshore days; one last bottle of the President's XVI which was wonderfully smooth and I end up making it all disappear as the evening progresses and we play a round of cribbage.

Outside the rain finally stops,a nd the clouds clear allowing the stars to come out. Tomorrow has the promise of sunshine and light winds. And maybe the start of the orchid season.

No comments: