Thursday 21 April 2016

Wednesday 20th April 2016

Tuesday

Let me say first of all, I left London at the height of spring, balmy warm days and cool nights, fanned by a breeze gentle enough to make macro work on orchids possible. Therefore, arriving in Denmark on Monday I was met my gale force winds, rain and temperatures hovering at 5 degrees. Like it was in England two months ago.

Ringkøbing, Jutland In truth, Tuesday was better in that it wasn’t raining, but it was very good and there was still a breeze blowing.

I met Manu for breakfast at half seven, I arrived first and attacked the pancakes, syrup and bacon with great gusto. We got through two pots of ciffee before we were done, and ready for the working day.

Holmsland Klit It is a short drive to the factory, and before the hordes arrived, there was time for some final preparation before the grand final dance began, and I could hear the rotund lady warming up! They arrive, and I take a deep breath, here goes…..

Seven hours later, it was all over and we part with smiles and handshakes, I have completed the obligations and with few problems; a cause for celebration.

Holmsland Klit It is bright outside, so I think instead of the familiar drive down to Esbjerg, I would take the road through the dunes, through Hvide Sande and may even stop off and investigate the dunes and beach beyond.

Holmsland Klit Which is what I do, with dark clouds hurrying across the sky, it was a race to get to a car park and out with the camera before the heavens opened. I drove along to Hvide Sande, through the other side and a few kilometres further on there was a sign pointing to a car park and the beach. I park up and grab the camera out of my bag, wrap up warm and set off up the dunes.

Holmsland Klit Looking back, there were many holiday homes, many thatched, nestling in the dunes, ready for the new holiday season, but for days warmer than today. To help to climb the dunes there was a rope ladder in the sand, which did make things easier, but how easy only became clear when the ladder ran out near the top.

And once I got to the top, I got a face full of wind-blown sand thanks to the strong westerly. I take a few shots, then turn round and go back to the car, turning the heater up a notch. I stop once more, at a group of fishermen’s huts I have been meaning to snap for a while, that done, I see how close I can get, or how far in truth, from Esbjerg before I resort to the sat nav.

Fishermen's huts, Nymindegab, Jutland It was ten minutes later, as I am driving down a shopping street in a town I had not been to before. But the sat nav said it was good, and keeping on that road, I end up in Varde and so from there it was just 20 minutes to the wonderful Scandic. It is OK, not in the top ten hotels in the world, but at least being on the 5th floor I have views of the red tiles on the roofs of the town stretching to the horizon.

It is my six year work anniversary, so I feel like celebrating, and it really is a coincidence that I arranged a team meal at Flammen in town. Although just one of the team, apart from me, turned up. But we make sure we celebrate well. Meat, meat and more meat. Really nice, and with a selection of salads to balance the meat out. Did I mention we had meat?

The day ends with me watching Citeh play Toon, and hoping Newcastle get thrashed, but get a deserved draw, making things even dodgier for Norwich. Such is the way. I am resigned to our fate now. Time for bed, anyway.

No comments: