Tuesday 12 April 2016

Tuesday 12th April 2016

Monday

Unbelievably, there are just 24 days until the great Japanese adventure begins. There are some last minute planning to do; buying clothes, booking seats together on the flight, planning our free days, looking at maps, learning how the new notebook works so photographs can be backed up on a daily basis. And so it goes on, but all of it to ensure we have a great time. Are we excited? Well, to be honest, I have not gotten too involved with the planning, because I know I will hijack it for a two week photographic expedition. So, I am going with the flow, but it is building, with us looking at where in Tokyo we are staying the near proximity to the main high speed rail lines heading south from the main station. I spent an hour trawling through the ASDA website looking for some cheap t shirts, which I buy, all at a fiver each or less.

It is pretty much all done now, just have to get work over with, which for me involves two major trips, one this week to Germany and next week to Jutland, and that should be it for travel until we leave for Japan.

And I can confirm that the BBC have firmed up the date when they are coming to Chez Jelltex to film for their series on the People's History of Pop. Knowing my luck it will be broadcast when we are away, but it will be available on the BBC i player for a month, so I will get to see it. But, oddly enough, I am not nervous yet about being filmed, as I have been told there will just be two people coming. But, we shall see. All exciting stuff.

Anyway, where were we? Oh yeah, Monday.

Monday

So, here we are: Monday morning.

You know how all through winter and those long dark cold days and nights, you hope for some warmth in the day? Well, the first hint of spring sunshine, and we are overheating in the bed every night, just getting a broken nights sleep as we try to keep cool whilst being surrounded by slumbering cats. Soon, we will put on the summer 1 tog duvet, but not yet.

I say this as I am awake at half five, waiting for the alarm to go off, woken again by being too hot and Scully clambering back on my feet and trying to make herself comfortable.

Jools gets herself ready for work, feeds the cats and makes a coffee, whilst I stay out of the way, offering help if needed. There is bright sunshine outside, but I have to work, but can take regualr breaks in the garden when I make brews. I walk around checking on the frits and any insects that might be flying about. It is all rather wonderful, just being there in our little piece of England, so full of life and colour. And we can say that we did this.

At midday the car people deliver the hire car I am to use to drive over to Germany. Saved me going into town to collect it, but I will still have to go as it is a right hand drive car, and I need to get some headlight adaptors and a breathaliser kit. So, once the mails slow down to a trickle I go into town to the car bits and bobs suppliers. I get the items, but save the excitement of fitting the adaptors until tomorrow when the sun is shining. I hoped so anyway.

Back home in the rush hour traffic now the children have gone back to school; how easy it is to miss such events, the kids going back to school, when you don't have one yourself, it is just an irritation to us. Or to me.

Once Jools comes back, I nip out to Samphire Hoe before the light of the day fades to check on the most advanced Early Spider Orchid. I walk up and down the track looking and looking. I thought I was going mad, as I knew the location as there was a nearby clear landmark. After 20 minutes I found the rosette only to find the spike had been nipped out, either by a rabbit or by an orchid hunter. I walk back disappointed, and with the others were so far behind, it is unlikely that we will see flowering spikes by the weekend.

Once I am back home we have Scotch Eggs for dinner, followed by apple crumble and custard (sadly bought from M&S), but was delicious anyway. We are both stuffed.

No comments: