Friday 22 April 2016

Thursday 21st April 2016

Wednesday

And with my next meeting not beginning until ten in the morning, I have the luxury of being able to lay in bed until what, seven, eight? Needless to say, the sun made an appearance sometime before six, and with my window facing east, it shone brightly through the thin curtains at the large picture window.

The view from room 503 I switch the computer on, put on the latest Radcliffe and Maconie show and go back to bed for a stretch and just close my eyes and waste the glorious morning in an unproductive way. So, nothing new there then!

I get up at half seven, have a shower and get ready for the day, or morning ahead.

Downstairs the restaurant is not too busy, so I have breakfast alone with my thoughts, looking at my fellow diners, muching away, each having their own version of their country's traditional start to the day. After fruit, a bacon roll and a chocolate spread roll, I am done and ready for the drive to Varde, now that the rush hour was over.

Spring in Esbjerg I know the way to Varde so well, I don't need the sat nav, but anyway I set out half an hour early so not to panic, which meant I could take my time, admire the emerging spring in the Danish countryside, which was bathed in glorious sunshine. But needless to say, the wind was cool and keen. I am half an hour early, so sit in the car, listening to the radio and checking mails on my phone. It is the modern way.

Spring in Esbjerg It seems that no one was expecting a meeting, but then I am first to arrive, and shortly the rest turn up for the meeting. We have two hours, so, on your marks...

We wrap up, go for lunch before it is time for us to go our ways, and for me that leaves either going back to the hotel or to the office in Esbjerg. I take the latter option, taking 20 minutes or so to reach the gates to the harbour, then along to our cabins.

I have reports to write, people to catch up with, a good two hours then. And indeed, at half three, I am done, all caught up, at least for a day, so I can return to the hotel, relax and maybe go for a walk, seeing that spring is about 6 weeks behind up here to what I see back home.

Spring in Esbjerg Around the historic tower in Esbjerg are planted hundreds of daffodils, so although I snapped them 5 years ago, I thought I would do it again, and anyway, the walk was worth it, blowing away the cobwebs in my head that a day and a half of meetings can bring.

My feet take me in time to the Dronning Louise, were half of the town's ice hokey team are celebrating after winning the national league, or something. They are mostly all American, but very happy, as so are many of the other's in the bar too, toasting their success. Champagne corks popped, toasts were made. I ate chili burger and drank hopped spring beer made in the town. As you do.

Back in the hotel, I watch Barcelona demolish Depotivo 8-0 in another of them footballing lessons they like to do from to time.

No comments: