Sunday 12 June 2016

Saturday 11th June 2016

I woke up after over eight hours deep sleep feeling better, and my shoulder less painful, at least for now.

Once up, I did some exercise, then watched some TV whilst I applied a pack of frozen sweetcorn to the afflicted parts. That felt better.

I made bacon sandwiches for breakfast and then it was a repeat of Friday, as we went back into town to see the rest of the banks and building societies we had failed to get to on Friday.

We spit duties, Jools did Nan's stuff, and I got to pay money into the bank, got to Boots to buy toothpaste and then buy writing paper and envelopes. This last task is made all the more difficult now as the choice is now so limited as so many of us just don't write letters any more. So the real choice was a variety of coloured Basildon Bond A5 pads and matching envelopes. And none were in black, but given the choice I selected the calmest colour and that was that.

The plan had been to meet in La Salle Verte, a sign outside said that their coffee machine had broken down so there was no point in opening. Instead I sat outside Gala Bingo to watch Dovorians and visitors stumble pass. Jools walked right past me, so I looked on in some amusement as she also found La Salle was closed and looked round for me. I waved, and all was right with the world, so we walked back to the car then drove home.

Of course, at this time of year, just about every waking moment is turned to orchids, and with it being bright but not downright sunny, I thought I would take the chance to go to look for the elusive Musk Orchids at PGD. So, dropping Jools off, I passed on a cup of coffee and instead of the usual route to Folkestone and up the Elham Valley, dodging the badly parked cars, I went to Barham and then down the valley road, turning off up the down, through the hamlet and onto the down itself. Where I found I was the only visitor.

I walked through the first and second paddock; the first was almost orchid-free, and the second pretty overgrown but with more orchids the further you went in, there was even a few Monkey still hanging on, but there was just the two, and these were being crowded out by Common Spotted which were everywhere.

Into the third paddock, and up the path to where I know where the tiny Musk can be found Now, just to look.

And look.

And look.

Walking back and forth, trying the two paths either side. Last year we had them at the end of May, so they should be around now.

Musk Orchid Herminium monorchis I carried on looking, doubting my skill in picking out the tiny spikes from the background vegetation. And then, there was one, about two inches high and almost fully open. Wow, just perfect really, but so small. Three or four years ago it took four visits here to find them, now if they're there, I can find them.

A few feet away there was another tiny spike, just unfurling, smaller than possible, but the pale green colour giving it away. And that was that! Musk Orchid Herminium monorchis I walk on after getting the shots, looking for some white varients of the Fragrants and CSOs; I find a pur albaflora CSO, and many pale Fragrants, along with a few Fly hanging on, as well as Twayblades, a single might GBO and the dead spikes of the Early Purples. How well they lasted in the end.

As I walked out of the site, I was approached by an elderly couple, the man clutching what looked like a new copy of Harraps. Seen anything? he asked. I said about the Musk. And Fly? he added. Yes, there are some fly, but they are pretty poor now. I said the Musk were in the 3rd paddock, and he seemed happy to know that, but I had to tell him, you'll never find it, it's so small. I'll show you I offered. Are you sure?

Yes, I am sure, it will be a pleasure. So, we walked, talked, until we came to the Musk, and even standing over it they failed to see it, I had to lean over to point at it. Oh wow, they were surprised, but thrilled. Another couple were walking along the lower path; seen anything interesting they asked. Musk says I. So I stay there whilst they double back and come up to us. They are also surprised at how small the little spike is. But happy too to have seen it.

Common Spotted Orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii var. albiflora This act of charity, or help had taken 90 minutes out of my day, and I really had to be getting back as Jools was to visit Whitfied to divvy out Nan's stuff. So I bid the folks farewell, and and drive back up to Barham and along the A2 to home.

We have lunch, smoothies and ice cream and cream cake. All of the major food groups right there.

Jools drives to Whitfield and I watch the football as it don't watch itself.

Now, it seems that the prospect of a will brings out the baser instincts in some people. It is all the more painful to hear about it in people I know, let alone how it must be to be related to them. However, questions were asked, answers given, and plans that had been arranged are changed without consultation. So sad really to have to witness it all, but there you go, where there's a will. I suppose some might read this and think I am being hard, but for me, its someone else's money, even if it were my Grandparents, I never thought of acting in a way to ensure of an inheritance, just did it out of love and/or family duty really. It's how I feel about Mum's money, I don't think there will be any left, but then its not "mone" anyway, she should do with it as she wants, and she does. Just a shame to see it all spent on mail order shopping and Pringles, but hey. She says she is happy.

So, with the pain of baser instincts hopefully to be forgotten, Jools comes back with some few things of Nan's trinkets, jewelry and mementos.

Inbetween games on TV, I cook bangers and Jersey Royals for dinner, which are great Wales come from behind to win their game, whilst England concede a last minute goal to draw with Russia whilst there is fighting and rioting in the stadium and around Marseilles. Just for once, it would be nice to talk about good football rather than crap passing, wasted chances and bloody drunken idiots fighting.

No comments: