Saturday 18 June 2016

Thursday 16th June 2016

And the 4th day of this working trip, and I am feeling the pace. Being in Denmark at just about mid-summer means dawn at about three, and me awake soon after, and so no where enough sleep. Coupled with sitting up to eleven to watch the late game on TV means I am shattered, but struggle through to watch the game to the very end.

And Thursday meant it was time for the so called "Battle of Britain" as England were to play Wales at three in the afternoon. Even the Danish and German commentators used that term, and also it seemed were wondering why the heck Harry Kane was being used to take corners. Like all of England, really.

But before that I had to work, of course. And like all working days, all days really, it began with breakfast, and there being no bacon ready to eat! What in tarnation is this country of Denmark coming to when there's not enough bacon?

I make do with some chocolate wafer things, less messy that the spread and dark chocolate too. But for breakfast? yes indeed.

I drive to the office to find my usual "hot" desk has someone at it, so I go to the project office, away on my own in another building, and right away I find that the sky is falling. So, any thought about dealing with the real issues of the day would have to wait whilst I tried to fix the sky, as it were. Somewhere three hours slipped by, I had meetings, was bitch=slapped by my boss, then un bitch-slapped by him. So, all is well, yeah? Probably.

I find there is a single slice of Thursday cake in the kitchen, so I have that for lunch, run around some more, and after a crazy morning, all seems much better by the afternoon. One final chat with my line manager, where I drop the idea that I might go back to the hotel to watch the game, and he says I should go for it, I done good work this week. So, with that ringing in me ears, I pack up, say goodbye to the team and drive back to the hotel and am up in my room ready for the game to start at three.

England were poor in the 1st half, and concede a free kick for the ninja warrior Bale from a free kick just before half time. Roy panics and brings on Vardy and Sturridge are brought in on for the 2nd half, with the Leicester player scoring soon after kick off, then Dan knocking in a winner on injury time to make it a very nice afternoon indeed. Didn't see that result coming, but happy enough, even if plan A didn't work, and plan B seemed to be having all the strikers on the field at once hoping that someone would score. It did work this time, but much thinking needs to be done before the final group game and then the knock outs.

Josefine I walk to the Dronning Louise on me own for dinner; being another hot day there are plenty of seats inside, where I can watch the Northern Ireland game whilst I eat and sup. And they upset the apple cart by beating Ukraine by 2-0 to send their fans crazy.

It is getting late, well, towards half eight when I leave the bar, back along the shopping street to the hotel, and take up position on the bed to watch the 3rd game of the day, Germany v Poland, which is good but ends 0-0, the first goalless game of the championship.

sunset Outside it was getting dark, so I snap the scene then go to bed, I am home in the morning you know!

No comments: