Friday 3 June 2016

Wednesday 1st June 2016

Somehow, summer has arrived in Denmark. I wake up at sometime before four, with dawn well under way. I try to go to sleep and find that it is now a tad after seven. Make haste, there is work to do. I say to no one, so I get out of bed and get ready for another day at the coalface.

After showering and dressing, I make my way to the lift, where I find a nice German couple, who make small talk about wind turbines. I manage to exchange fractured German about turbines, and apparently avoided in saying anything rude. Or if i did they pretended to ignore it. Or they did ignore it.

I was glad to get out the lift before the got out the interrogation lamp to quiz me about technical specifications. I had breakfast, some all bran and yoghurt and coffee. Lots of coffee, then make my way out of the restaurant to the car park, via the main door rather than a window, and then the drive to the office.

And so let the work begin!

And it does. There are a million and one things to do, meetings to have, people to meet and soon the morning slips by and lunch comes around; some kind of ultra-special open fish sandwich thing, which is not unpleasant if I'm honest, but it too fishy for me. The rest of the guys waffle theirs down, then it is time for more work.

Esbjerg Mails sent, calls made, well apart on my mobile which I have left in the hotel room.

The day ends with me giving up at four, or just after I go back to the hotel for some laying down in the dark, gently sobbing, before girding my loins for the walk to Dronning Louise. I order chili burger and a beer. And another beer. And another beer. And a pint of mild. I am full now, if not by food but by beer.

Esbjerg I walk back to the hotel, once again marveling at the dreadful fashion displays in most of the shop windows, Denmark really is a different country.

Back at the hotel, I listen to the radio, do some more writing, and the night slips by. No football in the TV, so at ten with dusk falling, I draw the curtains on another splendid Danish summer day. And it cold, wet and windy in England.

So it goes, so it goes.

No comments: