Friday 24 June 2016

Wednesday 22nd June 2016

And so began the long slow slide towards the short dark days of Winter, with the day after midsummer. Or the day after the day after midsummer, as the equinox fell on the 20th this year, to confuse everyone. The 21st was also a full moon, but rain fell until after disk and by the time the clouds cleared, it was fat and yell, and not newly-risen strawberry.

It was a warm but dank morning, and today I was moving on, so I had to pack and drive to Arhus, but not till the afternoon, as I had plans.

I shower, pack and get dressed. This week I had brought my big case, as I expected the usual batch of project clothing at head office the next day, and I was sure there was a winter coat wating, and in the middle of summer I don't to be either wearing or carrying it back home come Friday. So, I had space to spare, for now at least.

Moesgaard Museum, Arhus I drive to the office where half to project team were in the office. A problem as my laptop only accesses our intranet when hard-wired into the network, not even the work network is good enough. So, I have to say, I need the only desk, the cable and so on, so the others give way and I have the desk.

Moesgaard Museum, Arhus Outside the sky clears some, and by lunchtime I was so on top of things, I think I maght play hooky. Last week, Manu told me of a museum, where there is Danish hostory in abundance, and a gladiator exhibition. Now, I have no problem with such things, and indeed once I got to the museum, it was great, and I now it puts everything in contex, but it is playing up to the crowd, as it were. Not sure how many gladiatorial areas there in Denmark, maybe some, maybe none, but they made too big a deal about it for me. Saying that, the rest of the museum was wonderful, very interesting and full of relics and re-creations of ancient houses and villages.

Moesgaard Museum, Arhus I drove from Arhus, struggling with the inbuilt sat nat, in time as I tore up the E45, managed to find the museum under a sub-menu. Sadly, for me, the car had been set to Italaian, and that not being one of my strongest languages, ahem, I pushed button after button until I worked out what the menu might mean. Anyway, I managed to program the car, whilst hoofing along at 130 kmh, and turned out it was quite near to the hotel, well, 10 miles anyway. It is built into the side of a shallow hilll, and is a fine modern design. Parking was free, and entrance wasn't much.

Moesgaard Museum, Arhus I stayed for over an hour, looked at all the exhibits, but did not find the bog body I really wanted to see, so after seeing the evolution of the humanoids exhibit, I decided to go to the hotel, check in and have a shower.

There was football on TV, but I think 10 days in or so, I had reached saturation point, so decided to walk to the Highlander Bar and have a drink, then see how I felt. I checked the map then set off, it was less than ten minutes away, down a twisty old road, but Julian remembered me and plied me with cheap beer. And another. And fresh fish and chips. And another beer. And pineapple rum. And brandy. And two more beers.

I seem to remember us trying on hats at some point, and finding it very funny indeed. I had one more beer and went back to the hotel. I must have made it as I woke at some point with the room lights on, the TV on and the laptop working away. I went round switching the lights out before heading back to bed.

I slept well.

No comments: