Thursday 6 February 2020

Getting some in: part 3

Inbetween the last letter and this, I had enjoyed a week's block leave, and during which I had picked up an ex-rental VHS video recorder to go with the 16 inch portable TV, which both just fitted in my RAF kitbag, so was able to lug those back and forwards between home and Swinderby. And both were small enough to hide in my wardrobe during inspections.

Dateline: 25th October 1990, 20 Flight, RAF Swinderby.



Dear Mum and Dad,

It's Thursday night and we've got a bull night. But I've done my bit so I'm having a rest. To tell you the truth the block is so clean it only takes about an hour to do, so we have time to watch Top of the Pops and Red Dwarf, so as you can tell it's not too hard.

Just to run over a few details: we are to get four tickets each for the passout parade, it will say on the tickets what time to be here by, but if I remember from Jame's, you have to be here by 09:45. I have to point out too that me passing out depends on me passing all tests and what is expected, I have to pass the GSK exam, pass mark is 74%, and there is another drill check to pass and general cleanliness, all of which could lead to being reflighted and being put back a week or two. I will do my best, but that goes without saying.

20 Flight We have a 4 ton truck pull on Sunday to raise money for charity; animal welfare and meningitis. We are to be dressed in Caribbean gear in honour of our Sergeant, so we are all preying for rain.

The past two days have not been very busy, lesson-wise, but we have to keep the block mega-clean until after Tuesday's important inspection. Next week will be full of GSK, PT and lots of drill so we look our best for the parade.

We are confined to base this weekend as we are "duty flight", so we get dicked with extra tasks, and next Wednesday we are reserve flight for that week's passing out parade so on traffic control and parking duties.

That's all for now, please pass this on to Nana, Granddad and Nannie, as I will be busy,

See you soon,

Ian

No comments: