Tuesday 18 February 2020

Monday 17th February 2020

It only seems a week or so ago that it wasn't getting light until half seven or so, now when the alarm goes off at quarter to six there is light on the horizon, and at the back of the house, nearly light enough not to need the lights on.

So starts another week, with the crescent moon hanging low over the horizon, marking where the sun will soon rise underneath. Venus shows bright too. I pause to look at the celestial ballet before me, slowly playing itself out, but the day beckons, not least with the aroma of coffee freshly brewing.

It will be a long day for Jools, but for me, a normal eight or so hours, working hard at the dining room table. But I have a new task, a spreadsheet on which to record my progress in arranging and carrying out tasks.

I like a good spreadsheet.

Jools is all a whirl as she gets ready for work, then is gone, just like that.

Not like that.

And I go upstairs to get the phys of the day done, so I don't have time to think of a reason not to. And I grit my teeth and increase the resistance by one level.

I engage the i pod, some Grace Jones and Big Audio Dynamite, and away I go.

Puff.

Puff.

Puff.

And do twenty minutes, though I was getting pretty tired at the end. But I did it. And as the day went on, I felt more and more healthy, glowing with fitness.

Outside the brightness of the dawn is replaced by clouds. Then gales. And sheets of rain. It gets so dark I put the table lamp on so I don't have to procrastinate in total darkness.

Grey Monday I get on with the spreadsheet, colour-coding it, adding hyperlinks and the such. Oh, its good.

The day gets old and the clouds clear and the sun comes out, so I go out to do some light gardening. As its light. I take of the dead twigs of the two acers and ponder the pruning of the climbing roses. I am joined in my work by two cats who let me know they are there by meowing for food/attention. All the time. I am looking at the wisteria, only for Mulder to jump on the roof of the shelter so I could poke his belly through the slats. Oh this is fun, he thought, so we spent ten minutes with him chasing my finger and purring and dribbling.

Back to work.

Dinner was to be toasted crumpets. Not home made, sadly, I gave away my crumpet rings to someone, and have regretted it ever since. As you do. But these were Tesco finest sourdough crumpets. And pretty good, though not as good as home made. It seemed a slight meal, so I rustle up a batch of Norfolk short cakes to follow the crumpets. And it takes a LOT of willpower not to try one as they cooled on the work surface.

Forty eight Jools was doing yoga, so I waited until she returned home at quarter past seven before toasting the crumpets and making brews. Then we had a shortcake each. And another. Then it was time for football.

Chelsea v Man Utd, the battle of the has beens, as neither are that good at the moment, but it would be a battle royale to see who would come out on top. Like it matters to me.

Anyway, Chelsea dominate but can't score, Utd score two in the second half after Chelsea have two ruled out by VAR.

And so to bed.....

No comments: