Friday 4 December 2009

Good Friday

It has to be a good Friday when one is not at work. Not THE Good Friday, however.

But, although the factory was closed but the offices are open, and so Jools had to work as normal. And so we had to fight through the traffic, and now as a truck hit the railway bridge on the road to the factory, everyone now has to go through a turny twisty housing estate until the bridge is repaired. But, with the factory being closed, traffic was light, and after dropping her off I drew a deep breath and headed up to Tesco.

Friday mornings are not a bad time to go shopping, as long as it's the period before all the school kids pile in the buy 'energy' drinks. One can only imagine the scene in classrooms up and down the county as hyped up kids up to the eyeballs with caffeine causing chaos for teachers. Such is the modern life of today's teacher.

Anyway, I whisked around the store picking this and that and filling up a family sized trolley with stuff; mainly fruit, veg and breakfast cereal. We have fond a wonderful new thing called Dahl lentils, which we had for dinner last night, along with breaded pork pan fried and corn. Very nice, very easy, and doubly nice washed down with a glass of red.

Anyway, along with the fruit and veg, six weeks of cat food and cleaning stuff was overflowing the trolley, I found and empty (!) checkout and loaded the belt and then went to pack in such a way as not to damage anything.

This done it was then tricky to get it all in our little Polo and drive back home, put everything away, and finish off the pot of coffee. Addicted to caffeine? Not me!

And then back out to order two calenders from the Tesco photo-booth and then, finally, the day was mine. But left with a day of endless possibilities, I was at a loss as to know where to go, other than to take photographs.

I headed out to a small village between Dover and Folkestone called Hougham; I had seen it on a list of listed buildings, or the church is, and I wanted to photograph it.

The Parish Church of St. Lawrence the Martyr, Church Hougham, Kent.

Off the main roads here in East Kent, the lanes are narrow and twisty, to the point of being silly. Hardly room for one car to get down the road, let alone if you were to meet someone coming the other way. Anyway, with a clear blue sky above and the sun on the countryside, it was no chore as I tried to find the church, or the village in which the church is.

The Parish Church of St. Lawrence the Martyr, Church Hougham, Kent.

It should have been easy, there is a TV transmitter next to the church, several hundred feet tall, but the twisty turny nature of the roads mean I took the wrong road several times. But, I did find it, and found it locked, as is the way these days. But it was wonderful outside in the sunshine. I snapped away, only to find I had left the battery for one of my cameras, and so had to go all old school and swap lenses to get the shots I wanted.

I drove back through Dover to Tillmanstone, which was another former colliery town. The church was small and surrounded by a centuries old village. I snapped away, and as the church was once again locked, and so after getting the shots I packed up my cameras and drove home for lunch, thus saving the coast of a pub lunch.

No comments: