Thursday 18 April 2013

Thursday 18th April 2013

it is Tuesday; that means we’re in Esbjerg and it’s snowing. Only it isn’t. Well, we’re in Esbjerg but the sun is shining and its warm enough to not wear a coat, or at least have it un-fastened. SPRING!

There was a phrase that 18 sqn used to use about ops and dets, when chaos reigned: The goat is out and running. I think that this is an appropriate phrase for how I feel right now. Sometimes I feel we’re on the crest of the control wave, and at other times it towers over us and threatens to drown us. Today maybe we have got nearer the crest of the wave as control, or the impression of it, returns.

Yesterday was a mix of work, packing, exercise and travelling. All mixed up into a huge wok of uncertainty. Anyway, by three I was packed, showered and ready for Jools to take me to the station for the commute to Denmark. Not much to report about getting to the airport, just that for these evening flights the airports seems to be pleasantly empty, at least until you get into the departure lounge when everyone seems to be there. I had dinner, a micro-buger from Rhubarb, and then waited for the flight to be called.

Once airborne, we turned west and I got great views along the river to the City, but, sadly, my camera was in the hold. Sorry, my cameras were in the hold. To make matters worse, there was little cloud as we climbed and headed north east, and I got views of Essex, could pick out Colchester as we flew over. Then, looking down as we reached the coast flew over Harwich and Felixstowe and up the coast so the sand bar at Orford Ness could be seen, and looking further the curve of the coastline up to Great Yarmouth and up heading north as it bent west to Cromer. The light caught the water of the broads and I could make out Breydon Water, and the Yare as it meandered over the marshes and the straight line of The New Cut as it headed towards Norwich. Finally, I could make out the harbour at Great Yarmouth, although too high to see buildings, I knew that down there I used to drive a truck backwards and forwards delivering chemicals.

I would rather be on the plane for sure.

I finished my book as we flew over the sea, and looked up to see that night had fallen, and we were flying over Esbjerg. I even could make out our work site and the turbine components and how far work had progressed.

I have been given a brand new car to drive, a Toyota Avensis estate, which is very nice, but there is a choke problem which causes the engine to race when a gear is not engaged, which makes it seems like I am revving the shot out of it at traffic lights. Oh well.

Once in the hotel, I open the mini bottle of Johnny Walker and look at the news on my computer: bomb explosion in Boston, and more on the funeral.

Time for bed.

Wednesday.

And today the client did come and ask many, many difficult and pertinent questions and we all tried to give honest and open answers without giving anything away. And so the dance went on all day as they inspected their massive investment and we tried to look like we really, really know what we’re doing.

We do know what we’re doing, and are doing very well. As to whether we can prove that is another matter however. And whether the client will be happy with what we tell them is another matter.

As I am buried by an avalanche of e mails and work, the sun shines outside, shining down on a warm Denmark, and I would rather be anywhere than inside the offices. However, it is better than stuffing the giblets up chicken’s bottoms, and I say this all the time. Some days I even believe this. Yes, it is better than Buxted, Raw Chemicals and parts of Gardline. I have a minion again, Steffan who I will train tomorrow in the ways of the force (NCR database) and in doing so will fry his brain. It’s my job.

Last night our boss took Philip and myself out for dinner; we ended up at a place called Bones, which is a BBQ place, andother meat only restaurant. It was good, and very filling. And he paid, or rather is company credit card did, and paid for the two pints of beer too. Which is always nice.

So, one day until I can go back home and have another four day weekend, or two days working from home and two days off before I come back over again. So it goes, so it goes…..

No comments: