Sunday 28 April 2013

Sunday 28th April 2013

And so the weekend arrives.

Snake's-head Fritillary

If i am honest, I do enjoy the travelling, for the most part. BUt at the end of the third week of it, I am jaded, and tomorrow (Monday) I have to be on the quarter the seven train out of Dover to catch the flight to Billund again. As this week i have the morning flight, for a change. I have picked my seat on the plane based on how good the view is, as on Thursday the propeller got in the way of some of my seats from the 3rd row.

Colts Foot, Tussilago farfara

So, yesterday morning we got up fairly early and after coffee headed to Samphire hoe to look for Early Spider Orchids. Thanks to the prolonged winter, everything is several weeks behind last year, and there were no sign of the tiny plants. Well, there are the leaves and if it stays warm maybe we will see then in two weeks or so. Afterwards I had to town to get my barnet mangled and, as usual, get some abuse.

As the weather was cloudy so we headed back home to do some chores and have lunch before we decided where to go. I say chores, it was for me to listen to the radio and Jools did some work in the garden.

So, I looked at the map and decided we should visit Bridge. Yes, there is a place in Kent called bridge, although when I drove through I could see no bridge. This needed investigating. So, I checked where the church was, and the best exit off the A2 and we set off with at least three cameras between us.

Bridge is just a few miles outside Canterbury, and was once on the main road between London and Dover, and is still home to three former coaching inns. Since the mid-70s, the main road by-passes the village and so it is wonderfully quiet once again.

St Peter, Bridge, Kent

We parked near the church and after snapping one of the pubs we go to St Peter's. It is a fine, typical Kentish church, and was open, which is always nice. But inside it is clear those darned Victorians had all but removed any trace of it's Norman origins. But, with the sunlight falling through the stained glass, it was wonderful in the church, and we took many shots.

St Peter, Bridge, Kent

We then headed to one of the pubs, The Plough and Harrow, for a drink and to just take in the sheer joy of Saturday afternoon. Once we had supped, we headed back to the car and then back home for maybe listen to the radio and more possibly a snooze.

The Plough and Harrow, bridge, Kent

Sunday morning was every bit as glorious as Saturday afternoon. But chilly. So, after checking my mails I make bacon butties and I sit down to watch MOTD. A nice way to ease into the day. I wait until ten before checking myself onto the flight for tomorrow, then pack my case and my work stuff. Jools worked in the garden all day, even refusing to join me on my afternoon walk, but then she has the whole week to walk as she has the week off. That sounds like a great idea.....

Next door's tulips

So, after pork pie for punch, I put on my walking books, stap my camera bag to my back and set out. Despite being wonderfully sunny, the wind is cool, and as I walked across the fields it was downright chilly, but the walking kept me warm enough. I snapped my first Comma of the year, as well as enjoying the vistas as I neared the cliffs. Two weeks of sunshine and above freezing temperatures mean that natures is now wide awake and growing like crazy; it is fantastic to see. And everywhere the colours are so vivid. It is great to just be out and walking enjoying the day.

Comma

As usual, I find some people to chat to on the cliffs before heading back inland and home.

Walk with the wind

Tonight we have a table booked at The Coastguard dwon in the Bay; so fish and chips and real ale, at least for me. And maybe the cheeseboard too. Hmmmm.

So, that is all for me until Saturday when it will be May.

2 comments:

nztony said...

I love your idea of chores, listening to the radio - gave me a good chuckle here at work at 1 15am!

jelltex said...

Radios don't listen to themselves, someone has to do it!

A lazy day here again, first of a three day weekend..