Sunday 14 July 2013

Monday 15th July 2013

Sunday.

Another glorious morning in this fine month meant that we should head out and do something. As you know, I have become a little orchid obsessed this year, and I found out via some of my contacts that there is yet another summer orchid to be found nearby. The Marsh Heleborine is a fine plant, and is found in marshy, coastal and chalky areas. All of which really points to East Kent.

I found out from one of my online friends that Sandwich Bay has a fine collection, so after breakfast we set off for Deal and then along the coast road, through the golf course to the Sandwich Bay estate. The idea that huge areas of land can be made private and entry controlled and a toll charged goes against all my values, and so it is always gratifying to go to the Bay to find the toll house unoccupied and so entrance is free.

Marsh Helleborine Epipactis palustris

We part at the bird observatory, and I go to try to join, as we use it quite a lot now, only to be told to wait until the end of August when we get 15 months instead of what would now be 5. So I made a fiver donation, get the directions for the meadow, and we set off over the road, into the meadow.

Marsh Helleborine Epipactis palustris

We walk along the tree line as directed, and find a meadow, but it is orchid free. We continue, amazed by all the butterflies active, most ore Marbled Whites, which are a delight this time of year. Then I see the tape which we were told marked where the orchids would be, and sure enough there were orchids everywhere. Quite incredible how to us, the conditions looked the same as where we had just walked, but for the orchids, clearly, this was just right.

Marsh Helleborine Epipactis palustris

Some old Southern Marsh Orchids were going over, but in amongst them were hundreds of spikes of Marsh Heleborines. We got down to some photography, snapping away. Satisfied with what we got, we head back, snapping butterflies and moths as we go. Back to the car and then home.

Overhead, cloud rolls over, taking the heat out of the day, but by lunchtime that has burned off and the sun beats down from a clear blue sky.

After lunch we go and visit our friends in River, Gary and Julie, and sit in the garden whilst we talk about photography, birds, insects and the suchlike.

I wrote to my boss in the evening to tell him I accept the promotion, and so once again my job titel will change as will my roles and responsibilities. 4th time this year, I believe. Oh well.

Given the choice to watch some interesting stuff on TV in the evening, or sit outside on the patio and watch dusk fall again, we chose the dusk/patio option. And so another evening spend watching the shadows lengthen and the colours fade and turn to black. I sat in the dark and sipped a wee dram, whilst all around us the air was filled with moths.

No comments: