Sunday 7 July 2013

Sunday 7th July 2013

Sport.

There were time during the winter when I felt there was just too much sport. However, it does seem that summer sometimes just takes it to the next level. In the last few weeks it would have been possible to watch: The Confederation's Cup, The British Grand Prix, The German Grand Prix, Wimbeldon, Grand Prix athletics, the British and Irish Lions in Australia, international cricket and now we're on the 2nd weekend of Le Tour.

Now, I love Le Tour, and as I write this, Chris Froome has just taken over the yellow jersey. I should want to watch it, but, in truth, I don't want to. I don't want to watch any of it. The TV has not been on for 10 days now, and I don't even find myself missing it. Why? Well, it is summer. The height of summer, and this weekend the temperature is in the high 20s. I have been hinting butterflies, orchids and all the other stuff that gets my juices flowing.

Andy Murray is in is second Wimbledon men's final, and Nan is coming round for dinner, so we will put her in front of the TV and so I may see some of it. I really hope he wins, I mean it has been 77 years since a British man has wond at the All-England Club, Andy should win, but whether grass is his best surface is debatable. He has already won a grand slam, so whether he wins in SW19 is irrelevant, he's already a winner. Something that the previous 76 years British tennis failed to produce.

It is crazy story season, and in football this means transfer gossip and rumours. I do read them, but don't believe any of the bylines until a move has been confirmed. With the financial fair play rules coming into full force this year, that transfer fees would return to something approaching real-world values. But with a massive increase in TV money coming in, it seems English (and Welsh) clubs seem intent on going on a grand shopping spree.

5 weeks until the beginning of the season......

Elsewhere, Bowie has been out, and has also met all the other cats, with mixed results. The others have not been in the house much, and Bowie has been exploring the house, and seems very much at home. Last night he went out for several hours, but came back at four in the morning. We just hope that things will settle down in due course. In the last twelve hours we have seen the other three more than in the previous two days.

We had a BBQ last night, once the heat of the day had abated. We sat outside digesting our burgers as the sun went down and dusk came, as did the bats, swooping down to catch small insects. A free flying display.

No comments: