Saturday 6 July 2013

Saturday 6th July 2013 (part 2)

Thursday.

IN a shock move, despite the noise of whatever industrial process had been taking place the night before outside the hotel, we both slept until half eight, and realised that if we were going to catch the ten fifteen train out of St Pancras, we'd better get going.

We quickly packed, handed the key in and made our way down into Waterloo underground station, then up to Warren street and on to St Pancras. we had half an hour to spare, so I go into M&S to get breakfast, then upstairs to wait for our train to be called. We grab seats at a table and quickly tuck into our sandwicues, fruit salad and smoothies.

Dead on time, the train slid out, and soon we were zooming through the tunnel under East London to Stratford, and then onto Dagenham.

At dover we found the car with all four wheels still on, so we loaded up and headed to Dad's to collect Bowie, and then onto home. And relax. Now the really hard part, getting our resident cats to accept Bowie as one of their own. What is clear is that Bowie likes it at Chez Jelltex, and despite the hissing at other cats soon settled in.

Introducing: Bowie.

We did lock him in the back room that night, and he attacked the door for eight hours making sure none of us got much sleep.

Friday.

And it was another of those wonderful not-going-to-work days when the sun shone all day and I got out looking for orchids and butterflies.

We headed up to Lydden Hill to hunt for Adonis Blues, but despite it being almost perfect conditions and the right time of the year for them to be about, I saw only Commons once again. However, it was wonderful being so high up above Lydden and Temple Ewell, it was glorious just ambling about.

Late Spider-orchid Ophrys fuciflora

In the time we were away, an orchid book I ordered had arrived, and so after consulting it on the subject of Late Spider Orchids, I set off with what I thought was a good idea where they would be. Late Spiders are very rare indeed, and can only be found in East Kent at a few locations. So, here's hoping I get lucky.

At the car park high on the downs I meet a couple of chaps just arrived from a steep walk up the downs, so I asks then if they know where the orchids are. A long way down, over two styles and through three fields, and then there's just a couple. however, on the road below, there's a site just 50m from the parking place, go there!

Late Spider-orchid Ophrys fuciflora

So, fairly sure in my mind I knew where to go. So I drove off, turned down the hill, went along a mile or so, and pulled in. I could see the metal cages used to protect the orchids just from the road, so I knew I was in the right spot.

There were about 20 plants in all, and i snapped most of them. Some hard work had been done recently, keeping the slopes clear of vegitation to ensure the orchids thrived. Their work is appreciated.

I got dozens of shots, and was happy enough with what I thought I go.

I went back to Lydden to look for the adonis, and again with no luck: plenty of Commons once again, even some newly hatched ones. I climbed right to the top of the down, right beside the A2, and for a fleeting momsnt I saw an Adonis flutter by, but it did not settle again and I failed to get a shot.

I happened to look at my camera and the shots I had taken, only to find the camera had switched to mono four shots in, and all the wonderful orchid shots were there, in glorious mono. Bugger.

I head home for a drink, and there was nothing else but to go back and redo the shots, but we had to leave soon so to catch the light.

Late Spider Orchid Ophrys fuciflora

We drive out to the base of the downs, no one is there, and we have the place to ourselves, and just in time as some orchids are already hidden in deep shade. We both get shots, and are joyous, as the orchids are just stunning.

Late Spider Orchid Ophrys fuciflora

We drive off to see the Musks again, as we had been told to be there at dusk when the air is heavy with fragrance. Indeed it was,as wewalked in the shady valley. We show a couple or two where the orchids are, and to make sure they all smell the honeyed scent.

Happily we mask our way home through the glory of a summer dusk, for a late dinner and a celebration glass of wine.

No comments: