Sunday 9 February 2014

Sunday 9th February 2014

Friday.

It always seems that the next morning after a late night return from Denmark comes round much too quickly. Did that last sentence make sense? I think so. Anyway, It was to be a very busy day, what with one thing and another, so, after laying in bed, I get up to take Jools to work so I can have the car and be able to transport myself at Steffen to the beer festival once work finishes. And being de-facto my own boss, I get to say when work finishes. So. Half eight finish?

I power the laptop up and get down to work: meetings and more meetings, and time inbetween to fire off some mails. One hour, two hours passed. I tried not to clock watch.

21st White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales, Dover

anyway, midday came and we decided to pack up. Hope in the car, drive to the factory to collect Jools and then to Ladywell so we could have a pre-festival pint at the Rack of Ale before getting down to some serious drinking. We try a sampler rack, as you do, then head to the chippy two doors up for some greasy food with which to line our stomachs so we can really enjoy the festival.

21st White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales, Dover

Steffen had never had fish and chips, so what better excuse for a cod and chips twice? None whatsoever. Not the best I have had, but good enough. So we head to the front of the town hall to queue. for once I was not at the front, but we would still get a table, which was what we wanted.

21st White Cliffs Festival of Winter Ales, Dover

And so for three hours we went to refill our glasses, headed back to our seats and drink.

Sadly, my friends who normally attend, could not make the afternoon session, so there was just us to talk amongst ourselves. At three we decided to head back to The Rack for a more friendly drink. And much to our surprise it was heaving, we only just got in the door, but ordered another pint of 1914, which was wonderful, and waited for five when Jools was going to collect us and take us home.

That night i get the sharp knives out and make chorizo hash for us, and it was very good indeed, although none of us washed it down with any alcohol, which meant we had had enough. And so the day drew to an end.....

2 comments:

nztony said...

Wow, I can barely comprehend that anyone would never have had fish and chips in their life like your friend Steffen who I guess has been around for at least 30+ years! I get withdrawal systems if I go more than 6 weeks!

jelltex said...

Yes, those Nordic types like their fish picked and uncooked. What can I say. We have them about once every two weeks, some are better than others of course, but only the best when you come over, Mr Tony.