Wednesday 12 February 2014

Wednesday 12th January 2014

Monday saw the 5th anniversary to us moving into the house. I know this as I like to read my old blog entries. I mention this just for added information really.

Those 5 years have been a rollercoaster ride at times, but now that I have been with Vestas for nearly 4 years now, things seem to be a little smoother now,although I do have worries about the job, but then who wouldn't? I have said that I won't talk too much about work, and I mean that, this is because of commercial considerations, and so not wanting to jeopardise anything I might do in the course of my duties.

In fact I should have been in Sweden tonight: we should have been doing an audit tomorrow, but that got cancelled last week and so all my travel plans had to be pulled and will have to be re-arranged. So, I have an unexpected week at home, and my calendar at work is quite empty due to the cancellation. Probably just as well it was cancelled, as I came down with the flu yesterday. I had a cough that was more like the bark of a dog, but I did manage to work the day, but then came evening, my breathing got worse and then sleep would not come so I tossed and turned all night. This morning I ached all over and was shattered. I e mailed work to say I would not be working. I then took to my bed and snoozed with Scully asleep at my foot.

I got up just after lunch, freezing cold despite the heating being on. However, my breathing was better although I was still barking like a dog at regular intervals.

Outside, the wind reached another peak and by dusk the rain was hammering down again, lightning flashed around and thunder shook the house. There has been a constant stream of storms since new year, and there seems to be no end in sight as another is coming tomorrow and yet another on Friday. The Somerset Levels have been under water pretty much since Christmas, and now the flood water is rising yet higher. The Thames in Berkshire is flooding with the water expected to rise 10cm over the weekend too.

Now, I might be a tad cynical, but Tory Boys announcement that money would be no object in helping the rescue effort in the thames valley, but funny how Tory voting areas get this much help whilst rural Somerset has been suffering with little help for weeks. Could it be the number of marginal constituencies there? Hmmmmm. Funnily enough, various Tory ministers have been blaming each other for the mess. Like that helps.

Things are not that bad here yet, although there has been some flooding, and then a 5m hole opened up in the M2 yesterday. The ground is saturated here, but nothing like it is in the west. Last week the sea wall at Dawlish was breached, along with the railway that runs along the top of it. With the storms we have since then, repairs haven't really begun as yet.

A UKIP councillor says the bad weather is because of gay weddings and is God's punishment for that.

No comments: