Thursday 27 February 2014

Thursday 27th February 2014

Wednesday.

You have to upgrade to Windows 8 by March 10th 2014; so said a mail from the IT Manager. Now, that should not be a hard task should it? However, it turned out to an almost impossible task.

Double Badgers

First of all I have tried to order the software a number of times, and every time it failed to arrive. So, call IT. And after a while he connected to my laptop, and so began three hours of me watching him trying to force various downloads on my computer. And every time it failed.

Until after about 11 or so, he seemed happy. The began the process of downloading the updates my computer had failed to receive over the past 18 months. This is necessary so when the installation began they could be binned. And this is a good thing, apparently. So, it took an hour to upload and install the updates, then I could begin the installation of Windows 8; it was now half twelve. The installation would mean the updates I had just installed would be deleted, but they had to be there, apparently.

I waited. Waited some more. And then at half three gave up and left the computer to do its stuff over night.

We woke up at six that morning, and out the back of the house we could see a sliver of silvery moon hanging in the light of early dawn, and next to it was the bright pinprick of Venus, shining bright too. So, once dressed and downstairs I grab my camera and the 400mm lens to snap it, and I think they came out really well.

It was one of those days when you really don’t want to be at work, or more likely, another one of those days when I don’t want to be at work. There was a glorious dawn, and the day was bathed in warm sunshine with little wind to stir things.

Old Moon and Morning Star

We went to see the old folks on the way home from work. Things are just the same as ever, although Nan’s room is now a spare bedroom. We chatted until the fumes from Tony’s roll-ups drove us out and home. Quite how we tolerated smoking in our homes by our parents in in public places is beyond me. Or it could be that I am much less accommodating than I used to be. That is very possible.

No comments: