Monday 13 October 2014

Monday 13th October 2014

Sunday.

Another day of chores.

And no football to watch in the morning. Oh what is a poor boy to do?

Well, have bacon for breakfast, then once it is nine we can go out and do stuff in the garden without waking the neighbours, I mean, everyone is up by nine in the morning, right? We replant the quince trees we have. The larger one is either suffering from windburn or lack of water after being too close to the hedge. So, we put it in a pot and put it in the middle of the lawn, having first cut a hole for the pot to sit in and be stable. Somehow that took an hour. The we move the smaller one, which was growing under the small living room window, and had suffered much in the building work, and looked little more than a twig sticking out of the ground. It was still alive as it had some new green leaves showing.

So, maybe a new location and more sunshine and water would do them good?

Work in progress

IN the afternoon, Jools went to see Nan, and I got on with dinner, cooking a massive slab of beef as Tony and Jen were coming round for dinner. I did manage to get my cooking time mixed up, and put it on to cook an hour too early, but I realized my mistake and left it in the oven for an hour on low, and it didn’t seem to do it any harm.

In fact dinner was glorious, and was perfect as outside the wind and rain hammered against our newly weatherproof house. I opened a particular fine bottle of wine, and it was perfect. England were playing Estonia, but once it was dishing up time I switched it off, with England still struggling to score against ten me. In the end they scored via a free kick from mr Potato Head and so are still unbeaten, with the two difficult game out of the way, it seems boredom is the greatest enemy now.

We put out some roast spuds and bits of beef for the badgers, and watched as a young buck munched his way through the meat and potatoes, leaving the cauliflower behind. Just like me when I was a nipper.

A week of change, travel and uncertainty ahead. We shall see. We shall see.

No comments: