Thursday 30 October 2014

Thursday 30th October 2014

Tuesday.

Oh yes, waking up just before dawn, secure in the knowledge that I had nothing planned to do for the day, other than have a wonderful stroll along the river through Norwich, meeting with a friend, and maybe a return visit to the beer festival in the evening. Oh yes, this is the life.

Passing Crown Point

I put the radio on to listen to the business news, and then the round up of the world news and events at six. I went down for breakfast at half seven, a small fry up which sets me up wonderfully for the day. Outside the sun is already shining with a warm light, best get out there and make the most of it.

I walk down to the bridge over the main railway, pausing to snap a few comings and goings, enjoying the sight of locomotive hauled trains, and enjoying that although it was still just half eight, it was already warm enough not to have a coat on, and so my decision to leave mine in the room was already proved correct.

Autumnal walk along the River Wensum, Norwich

Down from the bridge, past the former site of the Clarence Harbour pub, now some small houses, and round the football ground, just remembering some of the great games I saw here over the years, but now are in the past as I seem to be a live-away fan now I’m settled in Kent, and so maybe my game attending days are at an end.

I was due to meet a friend, Sarah, at half nine on the bridge over the river, so I had 45 minutes to kill. I walk to Carrow Bridge, looking on at the profusion of flats and the such which now line the river on both side, taking the place of the industry and warehouses that used to be there. The flats are sure better looking than the warehouses, but it seems that our heritage, or the city’s is being lost a bit at a time.

The sun shines, if anything, even more golden, I wander round, taking shots as the clock ticks down towards half nine. Sarah arrives, and so we able along Riverside, past the glut of bars and nightclubs that opened and then closed in the area around the cinema, on what used to be the locomotive sheds (32A) of Thorpe station. Beyond Prince of Wales Road, we crossed to the other side of the river, past Puls Ferry and on the left, fine views of the Anglican cathedral over the playing fields of Norwich School.

Autumnal walk along the River Wensum, Norwich

Over Bishop’s Bridge and onto the sharp bend at Cow Tower, where the sunlight fell dappled through the boughs of the ancient trees on both sides of the river, and golden leaves floated with the current like a tiny golden armada. Round the back of the old hospital, past Jarrolds factory and into the area around the Ribs of Beef pub at Fye Bridge.

Autumnal walk along the River Wensum, Norwich

We stop for coffee and a scone in the arts cafĂ© by the bridge, before carrying on along the river, making for the final bridge by the old brewery, along the way taking in many fine sights, and the massive queue for the lunchtime session at the beer festival which snaked its way over the footbridge over the river. Maybe later, Ian…..

Autumnal walk along the River Wensum, Norwich

Once we reach the final city bridge, Sarah asks if I want to come to hers for a bite of lunch. More of a slurp really, as its soup, but the offer is accepted and so we walk up the hill, under the shadow of the RC cathedral and into the leafy mature suburbs where she and her husband lived.

Autumnal walk along the River Wensum, Norwich

Soup was fine, as was the coffee and warm mince pie, but the day was getting on, and not wanting to extend their hospitality, I bid them goodbye, and walk back into the city, looking for a place to get a haircut. In the end, one of the places I used to use, Gatsby’s had a spare chair, and so I went in and they poor lad tried to tame my mane. I felt a stone lighter, and so what better way to celebrate other and with a pint of the Dark Pils from Redwell. No better way indeed.

I decide that the beer festival should be avoided, but then it is not the only one taking place, I know where more beer can be sampled. So I stroll through the city centre, making my way up Timber Hill to The Murderers, where a dozen more beers are ready for tasting.

I have a couple of pints of Wadsworth Swordfish, which was very nice, and as it was now getting dark outside, thoughts turned to dinner. I make my way to one final pub, The Wheatsheaf and order a burger and another pint before heading back to the hotel, as it was now seven, and I was cold without my coat.

I fell asleep sometime after eight, waking up only to turn the radio off, another fine Norfolk day ended with me sound asleep.

No comments: