Sunday 12 October 2014

Sunday 12th October 2014

Saturday.

Oh yes, the weekend. I can lay in bed until midday, or all day if I want. So why then am I awake at half five in the morning, pondering if I should head downstairs to make coffee and feed the cats. Mulder jumps on the bed, mewing and dribbling. SO it is settled, I get up, feed the cats and put the coffee pot on the stove. Hmmm, coffee.

Before the rain

Sunrise brought the most glorious light, which served as a warning for the heavy rain that was expected later. What to have for breakfast? Bacon you say: I just happen to have a pack of heavuly smoked streaky in there. So, on the pan, under the grill and soon the kitchen is filled with the most glorious of smells. I cook it so it it is crispy as heck, brew a strong cuppa to wash it down with, and so we sit down to eat.

Just as we were about to go out for some shopping, the phone goes: it is not good news. A look shows missed calls from the care home and from Jools' brother. She gets hold of MIke, and it seems Nan has had a stroke, the home have been trying to contact the family. Mike is there and Nan is conscious at least. We decide to do the shopping thing first, at which point I will drop Jools off. So, we go to the builders supply place, we proce up some slates and bricks for more work we wanted to do, then to B&Q to get some paving slabs to place on the garden, as the front garden now is soft and muddy after the application of manure and compost, so we need something to stand on so not to get muddy. We also get two large slabs of granite for the birds to eat off, and easy for us to keep clean.

Looking black over Willy's Mother's

I drop Jools off at the home, then drive out to Preston to get a hunk-o-meat for Sunday dinner, as her Dad and his wife are coming to dinner, and I wanted to show him why I go to Preston for supplies when there is Tesco. I end up buying a seven pound joint, which is enough for most of the street if truth be told, but looked wonderful. It was raining hard, and the lanes had become rivers, making driving interesting to say the least.

Back home I get a message that Jools wants another hour at the home as the doctor and ambulance are still there.

I use the time well by sowing fresh grass seed over the back garden, now that I have removed most of the moss. Lets hope it will look fine come the spring.

There is no football due to the international games, so what to do to fill the time? PLay some music, listen to the radio, edit some photos, play with the cats, feed the cats. I am not bored for sure. I go to collect Jools at two, and find that Nan has what has been called a mini-stroke. Her face, or half of it, had slumped. But she is able to talk, recognise people, but is very tired. Emergency over. We are pragmatic about Nan, I mean Jools is, she is 100, and we know she is now very frail. It will happen one day, maybe one day not too far away. Nan wants to go, but something inside her keeps fighting.

We have lunch, cheese and crackers: the last of the stinky French cheese from our trip over last month. It is now very ripe and needs to be eaten up. We tell ourselves as we much through what is left. Yum, yum and yum.

Outside I grew dark and cold, we put the heating on. We sat on the sofa and watched QI then the final Who do you Think I am. Which was featuring Twiggy this week, and was a tale of poverty, petty crime and a fairly happy ending.

We end the day with Jools watching Dr Who and us having pizza for supper. A winning combination to be sure. And what the weekend is all about I think.

No comments: