Thursday 2 October 2014

Thursday 2nd October 2014

September was such a golden month, what with a fine trip to Germany, then two and a half weeks off, during which I was blessed with almost unbroken sunshine. And October has continued equally golden, although the days are shorter now, they seem just as warm. But I am back at work, looking out of the office windows at the flat calm seas and endless sunshine thinking of all the things I could be doing instead of doing what I do, whatever that might be. Sometimes I wonder myself.

But, the BBC assures us, that things will change at the weekend, the wind will blow and the rain will fall. But that's OK, as the house is water proof now, or so we hope. Because at 19:30 this evening, Thursday, the final dust was swept up, the tools loaded and the tea drinkers, Nobby, Jack and Curtins left for the last time, the final side of the house is done. Just a few bits and bobs left to do, but it is almost there.

This was yesterday, however:

Wednesday.

Off to the office just as the sun was rising. At least no fog this morning to deal with, so no idiotic drivers to deal with either. I arrived in the office to find that there was a manual handling lecture scheduled, which meant I could not make or receive phone calls, unless I went out into the corridor.

I managed to work until lunchtime, but during the break in lectures, some of the techs decided they could only eat with a musical accompaniment. At this point, and the realization there was a fire lecture in the afternoon, and I had meetings, I decided to head home where I could at least speak or have quiet to think in.

Of course, at home, work was continuing apace, with the preparations for the final coating on the house, on the front. YAY. But this seemed to involve knocking nails in, which unsurprisingly, is not quiet. And then there is the tea. Despite saying they would have to make their own tea, I found myself making as much tea as I was when I was on holiday. As rain was forecast, the lads are doing the surrounds, making it all look nice. And looking nice it does.

They pack up a bit earlier than usual, just before six, and the house returns to peace and quiet, and the cats return from wherever they have been hiding. But saying that, none of them are as bothered by the noise and builders as they once were, even Molly comes round when they are sitting outside, meowing to be fed. I guess we all change, in time.

Just three months left in the year, and for me an autumn and winter of hard work with much travelling awaits. Not sure if I'm ready for it all, but every day is an adventure for sure.

No comments: